Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Book Review: Vespers Rising (The 39 Clues)

Vespers Rising (The 39 Clues)
Authors: Rick Riordan, Peter Lerangis, Gordon Korman, Jude Watson
Publication: Scholastic Press; Har/Crds edition (April 5, 2011)


Description: The Cahills thought they were the most powerful family the world had ever known. They thought they were the only ones who knew about Gideon Cahill and his Clues. The Cahills were wrong.


Powerful enemies — the Vespers — have been waiting in the shadows. Now it’s their time to rise and the world will never be the same. In Vespers Rising, a brand new 39 Clues novel, bestselling authors Rick Riordan, Peter Lerangis, Gordon Korman and Jude Watson take on the hidden history of the Cahills and the Vespers, and the last, terrible legacy Grace Cahill leaves for Amy and Dan.



My Thoughts: I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. Amy and Dan has so many adventures in the first ten books of the series that I thought that they deserved a break. So I let this book sit on my TBR stack for a couple of months before I picked it up. The Medusa Plot which is book one of the Cahills vs Vespers series came out yesterday.


This book is divided into four parts (one for each of the authors). Rick Riordan tells us about the beginning of the rivalry between the Cahills and the Vespers and also talks about the events the split the four children of Gideon Cahill and his wife apart. It also talks about a very special ring that Gideon Cahill is determined to keep away from Damien Vesper.


Peter Lerangis' section tells us about Madeleine Cahill who was the fifth child born after Gideon's death. It tells about her life with her mother in hiding from Vesper. It also details an attempt to get to know her brother Luke and how badly it goes. This cements her desire to keep her line secret from the rest of the Cahills and to guard and protect the ring left to her by her mother.

Gordon Korman's part takes us to World War 2 and stars Grace Cahill as a very brave and intrepid thirteen-year old. She needs to travel from Monaco to Casablanca to recover the ring. Along the way she has to match wits with General George S Patton.

The final section by Jude Watson brings us to Amy and Dan who are settling in to normal life and finding it a little boring. But the boredom dissipates quickly when they have to go to a very secure bank in Switzerland to get a clue which will lead them to the current location of the ring. They need to battle a variety of Vespers agents along the way.

While I thought the first two parts were interesting and contained a lot of background information, I don't know that they will grab the attention of the middle grade audience for these books. Kids who stick it out will find plenty of action and adventure in parts 3 and 4 though.

I liked the story and will be adding it to my middle grade media center because I have an audience who enjoyed the first ten books in the series.


Favorite Quote:
The world needed Father, and he was nowhere to be found.

She stopped short, frowning. No, that wasn't quite true. The world needed a Cahill--and Father was not the only one. Grace was a Cahill too.

What am I thinking? I am not in charge of saving the planet! I'm thirteen years old! I'm not even allowed out of the house without permission!
I bought this one because I was a fan of the first 39 Clues series. Ask to see my card collection! You can get your copy here

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I'll admit it - I'm not familiar with this series at all. But I have someone I think would love it. Off to investigate further. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!