Thursday, August 18, 2011

Review: Supernaturally by Kiersten White

Supernaturally
Author: Kiersten White
Publication: HarperTeen (July 26, 2011)


Description: Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be... kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees.


But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.


My Thoughts: OK! I still love Evie and she has a unique and humorous take on life. Now that she is living as a normal person and attending high school, she finds that the life she really wanted is sort of boring. Lend is away at college and she only gets a chance to see him on weekends. When Raquel offers to let her so some contract work for the IPCA, she agrees even though it means lying to Lend about what she is doing.


She is paired with Jack who is a human boy who was raised in fairie and has learned to manipulate the paths. He is a unique character himself with a not very solid grip on reality or sanity. He gets Evie into lots of difficult situations.


I think that I liked this one a little less than Paranormalcy because the problem of the plot was less clear to me. Evie fights against her desire to steal other paranormals' souls. She tries to balance her life with Lend and with the IPCA. She tries to fit into normal human life including applying to Georgetown and then obsessing about whether or not she will be accepted. She tries to stay away from faeries though Reth does pop in with some cryptic comments every once in a while. And, she tries to work on her relationship with Lend knowing that he is immortal and she is not.


This one will be enjoyed by readers who liked meeting Evie in Paranormalcy and want to catch up with her now. There was less external action than in the first book and more about how Evie relates to things.


Favorite Quote:
"Something we have in common, then, besides the world's most perfect hair color. We were both raised by no one and live nowhere."

I squirmed, opening my eyes. He had a point, but not one I especially liked. I was connected to people, to places. Wasn't I? There was something in Jack that I related to, though, on a level I didn't quite understand. Here and there, when he wasn't being an idiot, there was this sort of ... desperation. Like he was trying to find something, but he didn't know what is was yet. It was a feeling I knew all too well.
I loved Paranormalcy so I bought this one from Amazon as soon as I could. You can get your copy here

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you didn't like it as much as Paranormalcy but glad you enjoyed it ^-^ I really loved Supernaturally! Can't wait to see what'll happen with Evie next!!

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!