Monday, September 5, 2011

My New School Year Resolution

Most people make New Year's Resolutions. I make new school year resolutions.

This year my resolution is to get the stack of YA books that I want to read under control. So, this is what I did. I decided to look at all the YA books I have around my house on shelves, in baskets and piled on top of my entertainment center and donate those that I have lost interest in or don't think I will ever get around to to my High School Media Center.

These are the ones I have decided to donate:
These 4 grocery bags and crate contain 81 books. I hope that my students will enjoy them. (And, I know where they will be if I ever get the urge to read any of them.)

I still have quite a few stacks of books that I want to read. The most recent ones are still on my entertainment center. You can click on all the pictures to get a larger view of what is waiting for me.
I also have another stack that I have had for a longer period of time that I hope to get to read someday.
And then, I can't forget the books that are waiting for me to read and review them. 
I still have piles and piles of books. But I feel like my collection is now more manageable. I have whittled down my collection of YA books to a mere 143. I feel better! (At least I do as long as I don't look at the 1000 adult books that are on my TBR stack.)

Now, if I could just convince myself to stop buying books for a while, I'd be good. Maybe I'll have to make myself read 2 before buying 1. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Oh My, that's a lot of books. I thought I had too many to be read, but you definitely have me beat! LOL. Have fun reading and I'll bet the kids love the books you're giving away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! And you gotta love getting organized..... Have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I feel for you! I need to whittle mine TBR down, too, though mine is mostly on paper. I probably have closer to 100 books in my possession on my TBR!
    Kim @ Time 2 Read

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang! So many books! Enjoy a new school year! I'm sure it'll be lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I received as a gift last year a sweatshirt that reads "Some many books; so little time."

    I'd say you need one of those, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny because as a teacher I make more resolutions at the start of the school year than I do in January!

    I just stopped accepting books for review through the end of the year because of this same issue. I need to catch up and just read for fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!