Monday, September 26, 2011

Road Trip: Scott Westerfeld

Saturday morning a friend and I headed up to the Twin Cities to find Wild Rumpus Bookstore and see Scott Westerfeld. I had programmed my GPS so we managed to get there without incident. Since we were early, we decided to go somewhere to look for lunch. We found a nice sandwich shop and then headed back to Wild Rumpus.

Unfortunately, I had coded in the wrong address and so we spent 20 minutes driving to East 43rd Street instead of West. Once we got there and realized our mistake, we had to turn around and head back to the correct address. We still managed to arrive - at the correct location - a couple of minutes before he began to speak.

Wild Rumpus is a fascinating children's bookstore. They have bunches of live critters wandering around the store and in assorted cages. Lots of little kids were having fun playing with the chickens. And one bird of some sort was continuing disrupting Scott's train of thought with its repeated calling. A few of the attendees also dressed up in costumes representing characters from the Leviathan trilogy and were fun to see.

Westerfeld's talk was entertaining and informative. He was very accommodating to his fans. We had brought book plates for the books in the media center instead of hauling the couple dozen we have. He very graciously signed all the bookplates for us.
I also got my personal copies of the trilogy signed. Now, I just have to find time to read them.

That was a fun trip. I can't wait to get a chance to visit Wild Rumpus again and explore more - but I'm still not petting a chicken!

1 comment:

  1. It's been a while since I have gone to a author event, but I love them and the Wild Rumpus looks like a wonderful bookstore. Good to know that there are still small interesting bookstores around.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!