Thursday, October 20, 2011

ARC Review: Touch by Jus Accardo

Touch (A Denazen Novel, Book 1)
Author: Jus Accardo
Publication: Entangled Publishing, LLC (November 1, 2011)


Description: When a strange boy tumbles down a river embankment and lands at her feet, seventeen-year-old adrenaline junkie Deznee Cross snatches the opportunity to piss off her father by bringing the mysterious hottie with ice blue eyes home. 

Except there's something off with Kale. He wears her shoes in the shower, is overly fascinated with things like DVDs and vases, and acts like she'll turn to dust if he touches her. It's not until Dez's father shows up, wielding a gun and knowing more about Kale than he should, that Dez realizes there's more to this boy--and her father's "law firm"--than she realized.

Kale has been a prisoner of Denazen Corporation--an organization devoted to collecting "special" kids known as Sixes and using them as weapons--his entire life. And, oh yeah, his touch? It kills. The two team up with a group of rogue Sixes hellbent on taking down Denazen before they're caught and her father discovers the biggest secret of all. A secret Dez has spent her life keeping safe.

A secret Kale will kill to protect.




My Thoughts: What an exciting story! And what an interesting beginning to a series! Dez is a daredevil and adrenaline junkie. Her only goal in life seems to be trying to get her father's attention. One night, on the way home from a party, she discovers a strange boy and helps him escape from the men who are chasing him. Kale is unusual because everything seems strange to him. It is like he is a visitor from another planet. He has been raised in the Denazen compound and used as a weapon by them. His touch can kill any living thing -- except Dez.


Dez quickly learns that what she believed about her father is a lie. He isn't a distant, workaholic, corporate lawyer. He is the distant, workaholic, head of a secret organization that kidnaps and coerces people with talent - Sixes - to work for them. He is a murderer. Kale was one of his subjects until he managed to escape. Now, Kale and Dez are on the run from Denazen.


But, when Dez learns that the mother she thought was dead is also a Six and held prisoner to guarantee Dez's safety, Dez is determined to free her. So determined that she reveals that she has an ability that she has been keeping secret since she was seven. She has the ability to turn one object into another as long as they are about the same size. But changing things isn't cost-free. It costs pain and energy to change things. 


When Kale is recaptured by Denazen, Dez goes to her father and offers to join them. Her goal is to get Kale and her mother out. The story has lots of twists and turns. Quite a number of the people in the town where it takes place have special powers. 


The story has the usual (these days) romantic triangle. Dez's ex-boyfriend Alex wants her back. Choosing between Kale and Alex is not a tough decision for Dez. After all, he betrayed her with another girl. But Alex will do anything and betray anyone to get her back. Too bad she needs him in her plan to free the people she loves.


This was an exciting and entertaining story. The romance between Kale and Dez was very sweet (and hot too.) The adventures kept me on the edge of my seat wondering how they were going to ever get to a happy ending. I look forward to more books in this series.


Favorite Quote:
With his eyes on me, so sad, I couldn’t take it. I sat up and climbed onto his lap, resting my forehead against his. Inhaling, I committed his scent to memory. Earthy. Like the woods after a long rain. My arms slipped around his shoulders, and my lips found his. The kiss was tentative at first—brief. I pulled away until I could see his face. I’d had a lot of guys look at me like I was a fun vacation on the beach, but the way Kale’s ice blue eyes devoured every inch of me, full of heat and hope, I felt like Christmas morning. Timeless and perfect.
I received this ARC for review from Entangled Publishing. You can get your copy here.

3 comments:

  1. I think this one just went on someone's Christmas list. Looks perfect for one of my YA's. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! This sounds like something I'd really enjoy and i love the unique take on a love triangle.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!