Sunday, October 9, 2011

In My YA Mailbox (Oct. 9, 2011)

The weekly In My Mailbox post is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. It is fun to see what everyone else gets in their mailboxes, shopping bags, and library visits. Click on the link to The Story Siren's site to see the rules and join in the fun.
 
I guarantee that your TBR pile will grow when you see all the wonderful books everyone gets. You will discover lots of great blogs and lots of books that you won't be able to live without.


This week was a mix of old favorites and new review books.
I got a copy of Dreamland by Alyson Noel this week. I am not sure if this is my review copy of if I won it somewhere. I know that I posted the book trailer and held a contest to give away a copy on my blog. I also went out and entered a bunch of the contests on other people blogs. (I just checked my email and see that I won the book on two different blogs. Maybe I'll have another copy coming too.) I have read and enjoyed the first two books in this series and one of my seventh grade students tells me that this is her favorite series. I'll be glad to put this copy in my Media Center to be enjoyed by my students.

I also got Ranger's Apprentice: The Lost Stories by John Flanagan this week. I really like the Ranger's Apprentice series and was sad to see it end. I am glad that Flanagan wrote these stories to fill in some of the blanks and to give us a little more in that world.

This week I got a bunch of review books. I was recently sent the Winter catalog from Feiwel and Friends and asked to pick what I would like to read. As has been demonstrated many times in the past, I have no resistance. I did manage to limit myself to four books though.
I got Rebel Fire by Andrew Lane. This is the second in the Young Sherlock Holmes series. I enjoyed the first book and am eager to read this one. It will be published on April 24, 2012.

I chose You Can't Have My Planet, But Take My Brother, Please by James Mihaly because of the great title. I can see middle graders loving this one. Coincidentally, it comes out on my brother's birthday - April 10, 2012. I know I would have willingly given him away often during our childhoods.
When the Sea Is Rising Red by Cat Hellisen will be published on Feb. 28, 2012. It is a fantasy. Here is the product description:
After seventeen-year-old Felicita’s dearest friend Ilven kills herself to escape an arranged marriage, Felicita chooses freedom over privilege. She fakes her own death and leaves her sheltered life as one of Pelimburg’s magical elite behind. Living in the slums, scrubbing dishes for a living, she falls for charismatic Dash while also becoming fascinated with vampire Jannik. Then something shocking washes up on the beach: Ilven's death has called out of the sea a dangerous wild magic. Felicita must decide whether her loyalties lie with the family she abandoned . . . or with those who would twist this dark power to destroy Pelimburg's caste system, and the whole city along with it. 
My last choice, and the first book to arrive this week, was Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. This one will be published on January 3, 2012. Here is its description:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
Since I love both retold and re-imagined fairy tales and science fiction, this one sounded fantastic.

What did you get this week?

8 comments:

  1. Great bunch of books!

    http://writesthoughts.blogspot.com/2011/10/in-my-mailbox.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the Sea is Rising Red and Cinder! Dying of envy! :) Great mailbox, enjoy your week of wonderful reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the Sea is Rising Red has an interesting cover! Kinda creepy in a way, but I like it!! Happy Reading!

    Here's my IMM

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When the sea is rising read is on my wishlist and TBR pile. Looks and sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cinder sounds so amazing! And I might have to give You Can't Have My Planet, But Take My Brother Please to my brother for his birthday. He'd (probably) appreciate the joke!

    My IMM is over here if you'd like to stop by! Happy reading of your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice mailbox! I received Dreamland too, and think I prefer Riley to her sister Ever. And I love the title You Can't Have My Planet, But Take My Brother, Please! Enjoy!

    (My first comment disappeared, so apologies if I accidently duplicate!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cinder sounds really neat. I saw it in netgalley but I'm kind of on the fence about it. Hope you like it!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to read Cinder. I also need to read Death Cloud still. I had it checked out from the library but never got around to it. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!