Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Book Review: Ties to the Blood Moon by Robin P. Waldrop

Ties to the Blood Moon
Author: Robin P. Waldrop
Publication: Amazon Digital Services, Nov. 9, 2011


Description: Genevieve is a teenage girl who moves in with her aunt in Alaska after the death of her mother. Soon after her arrival she learns the things she was raised to believe only existed in fairytales are in fact a big part of her history. When it gets to be too much she seeks refuge in the arms of her new boyfriend, William, only to find out he's not who she thought he was either.


My Thoughts: I really tried but I couldn't finish this book. I lasted to the 42% mark and the start of Chapter 24 before abandoning it. I found that I didn't like any of the characters. 


I was especially unhappy with the main character who kept insisting that she was adult and should be able to do what she wanted but continually acted like a five-year-old throwing a tantrum. Also, I never understood her. She seemed to go from tears to laughter within the same page. And she fainted all the time. She fainted when she met the boy of her dreams - William. What seemed really strange to me is that this seemed to attract him to her. 


Another problem I was having with the book was the way the other characters treated our main character. You know that joke about the mushroom - keep them in the dark and feed them bs?  Well, that is how the characters were treating our heroine. It seemed like she was the only one, other than the reader, who had no idea what was going on.

The book did have some strengths. The setting in Alaska was interesting and the possible new mythology about werewolves and vampires had potential. The writing was OK and the copy-editing of this self-published book was acceptable.

When I spent a whole week picking it up, reading a bit, and setting it down again, I knew that I just had to abandon this one and move on to something I would enjoy more.


Representative Quote:
When I glanced at her, she had this look on her face, like she'd been brainwashed. Kind of like Stepford wives only way crazier. At least with that movie it was more believable because a lot of scientists had found evidence leading to the possibility that aliens existed. This was just stupid crazy. Everyone in their right mind knows werewolves and vampires are fiction monsters created to scare people. 
I received this on from the author for review. You can buy your copy here

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I can avoid this one. I'm wearying of the whole paranormal thing.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!