Monday, January 16, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions (Jan. 16, 2012)

Tiger from Tiger's All Consuming Books and her friend Karen from For What It's Worth Reviews are starting a new meme on Mondays. Here is the explanation from Tiger's blog:
I love book-blogging. Reading, reviewing and discussing books is an absolute rush. It's a solo activity that quickly becomes a social activity when you connect with other book fans, and it can be educational, as well as a whole heaping lot of fun. :-)

But how about when it isn't? My friend Karen at For What It's Worth Reviews and I have had so many "blogger confessions" to each other over the past two years, discussing the hidden, difficult side of book blogging. We'd like to co-host a meme in 2012 as a continuation of these convos. As Karen puts it in her official introduction of the meme at her blog:

"Tiger and I thought it might be time to start a meme to discuss some of the frustrations that are unique to book bloggers. What happens when the hobby you love becomes more of a chore?
This meme will appear twice monthly on the first and third Monday of the month. You can get all the details here and here.

Here is their question for Jan. 16:

Have you ever had reading/blogging slumps? How do you work through them or work around them?

For me, reading/blogging slumps have to do with choosing the wrong book. If I don't find a story engaging or entertaining, I find myself doing all sorts of different activities to avoid reading. Have I checked and answered all my email? Is it time for a new blog design? Is there anything new in my Google Reader? It must be time to catch up on all the Facebook games I play!

In my pre-blogging days, I would simply put the book down and try reading something else. I don't do that so much now because, often, the book I'm reading is one I have committed to review. Or, it is a book that is getting a lot of good press on the blogs I follow and I want to be part of the in-crowd. Peer pressure does play a part!

If the slump is severe, I know that I can get myself out of it by picking up one of my comfort books for a re-read. These are the books that I know I will love with stories that are emotionally satisfying and with characters that I know and love. In prolonged slumps I have been know to re-read entire series.

What this means for my blogs is that sometimes the content is a little sparse or is devoted to reviews (more like "love letters") of books from my keeper shelves. I don't actually think this is a bad thing. Books very seldom "go bad" like over-ripe bananas. I appreciate finding out about older books that I might have missed or being reminded about books that I enjoyed and hope that my followers do too.

What do you think? How do reading/blogging slumps affect you? Link up your responses at Tiger's All-Consuming Books or For What It's Worth so that we can see what you think.

7 comments:

  1. I have no problem putting a book down if I don't like it....even if I have committed to read it. The last (and only) book I received for review and didn't read had a font that was way too small for me to read. My eyes are good, but I shouldn't have to strain to read it. So, I don't think it is worth it to force yourself to read anything.

    I also just don't have time to waste on those books either. My tbr pile is overflowing and I keep adding more on!

    My latest slump is review writing. I have been reading way more than usual, so I am a little overwhelmed with the number of reviews I need to write. I will get out of this slump as soon as I catch up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely have any commitments to read for review, only my own sense of I read something, I want to write about it....however, on the few occasions that I have promised to read something I find myself balking at reading the book. Here's the catch - EVEN WHEN IT'S BY A FAVORITE AUTHOR. It's contrary of me, I know. Because I KNOW I'm going to enjoy the book, usually do. But it's just that thing where it's suddenly an expectation, even though I really want to read it. LOL - maybe it's leftover teenage rebellion (from long, long ago).
    Then again, once I get started, I end up having fun and am glad that I've read the book, so it all works out.

    as far as slumps - (those not associated with agreeing to read a book) there's been times when it seems I can't finish one single book. The first three weeks of January was like that - then I remembered that I promised myself not to force myself to read books that bore me, so I stopped and finished TWO books this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean but that's why I try to use netgalley or just get my own books anymore. I hate reading books that aren't encompassing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh! I practice Twitter reading avoidance! lol I'll put my book down just to check my tweets for *one second* Three hours later....

    I'm not good with required reading even if it's something I would have loved if I had picked it up on my own. I'm ornery that way.

    I used to find myself reading books that are popular RIGHT NOW just to have a review up but I've let that go. I don't mind writing negative reviews but they all were because it wasn't a book I would have read otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of turning to "comfort books" to bust a reading slump. I haven't tried it yet, but some of my old favorites would surely jump-start my enjoyment of reading. :-)

    It's funny how the more pressure there is to read and review a book (from publishers, authors, or from other bloggers), the easier it is to find reasons to avoid the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get into reading slumps but every once in a while if I feel as though I don't have anything sassy to say...I just don't post.
    But that's not happened very often...thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!