Monday, January 2, 2012

What Book Started Your Year?

I have been seeing a fair number of blog posts lately about choosing the first book of the year. (Yes, Sheila and Marce, I'm talking about you!) I will have to confess that I have never given the first book of the year a thought. Of course, I'm really bad about traditions and even knowing what day it is.

Sheila's choice was Divergent by Veronica Roth. I have this one on my TBR mountain and I keep meaning to read it next. But, so far, I have been getting sidetracked by other books. Sheila's praise is really tempting me to move this one up.

Marce decided to read The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder because she was in the mood for a novel in verse. I have never read anything by Lisa Schroeder and haven't read a novel in verse for quite a while. I am going to have to check out what Marce has to say about it. I think, however, that this will be one that goes on the order for my high school media center rather than my Amazon order for me.

For myself, I started the year by finishing a book I began on New Year's Eve. I finished Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H. P. Mallory. I won this in a contest last fall and hadn't picked it up. But, since I got Witchful Thinking from Amazon Vine, I thought I had better get myself up to speed on the series. I wasn't really too impressed with this one but did see some positives that will keep me reading the series. I have book 2 on my Kindle to read before I get to my Vine book.

The book that I started and finished on Jan. 1, 2012 was Dreamland by Alyson Noel. This one has also been sitting on my TBR mountain for a while. I won it last fall too. This is the third in the Riley Bloom series which is Noel's middle grade paranormal series. I liked this story and thought the messages were both positive and woven into the story almost seamlessly. I look forward to sharing this books with my middle schoolers.

So, what did you start out the year with? Did you plan for it or was it an impulse read?

4 comments:

  1. I ended the year by reading Defiance by Lili St. Crow, but I haven't chosen a book for the new year yet. It'll probably be Reckoning, the last in St. Crow's series or Clockwork Prince. Then again, there are so many other books I'm excited to read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Dead to You by Lisa McMann. I hadn't given the first book of the year much thought either... Glad I started with a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'm breaking down and putting "Divergent" on hold at the library. I've heard too much about it now and can't ignore it any longer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to admit that I never gave much thought to the first book to read and/or review for the year either, but just grabbed the book that was calling out to me the loudest. My choice was The Immortalists by Kyle Mills, partly because it was a review title and partly because I was in the mood for a thriller. Who knew the first book was so important? *L*

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!