Saturday, February 18, 2012

Book Review: Twilight the Graphic Novel Volume 2 by Stephenie Meyer and Young Kim

Twilight the Graphic Novel Volume 2
Authors: Stephenie Meyer and Young Kim
Publication: Yen Press (October 11, 2011)


Description: Having uncovered the dark secret of her enigmatic classmate, Edward Cullen, Bella Swan embraces her feelings for him, trusting Edward to keep her safe despite the risks. When a rival clan of vampires makes its way into Forks, though, the danger to Bella has never been more real. Will she make the ultimate sacrifice to protect the people dearest to her?

The second volume of Twilight: The Graphic Novel completes the visual adaptation of Stephenie Meyer's worldwide bestselling debut novel and is a must-have for any collector's library.




My Thoughts: Besides the art, one thing I really like about graphic novel versions of regular print novels is that they distill the story to its essence. I had forgotten that the vampires has various psychic abilities too. Oh, I remembered that Alice had visions but I didn't remember that Edward could read minds. And, I don't think I ever knew that Jasper could affect emotions.


This volume starts with the baseball game and is concerned mostly with Bella trying to stay away from the tracker James. His tracking her was suspenseful but very brief as was her taking injury from fighting James. I had forgotten that he bit her and that Edward, along with Cullen, managed to suck the venom out of her to prevent her from becoming a vampire. 


The conflict between Edward and Bella about whether or not she should become a vampire is very clear in this one. Edward is beyond reluctant to turn her into a vampire. He wants her to live a full human life. He sees himself as a monster. Bella is as single-minded in her desire to become a vampire and stay with Edward forever.

I liked the art in this one. Bella does look a bit like Kristin Stewart but Edward doesn't look at all like Robert Pattinson. We only get glimpses of Jacob in this one and he is the much younger, pre-werewolf Jacob. I liked the style of the drawings and I liked that the last few pages added some color (other than the occasional blood red that appeared earlier).

This is a good companion to the novels and a good rendition of the story in another medium. Fans of graphic novels and of Twilight will want to add this one to their collection. Since it begins in the middle of Twilight, I strongly recommend reading Volume 1 first.


Favorite Quote:
I brought you to the prom because I don't want you to miss anything. I don't want my presence to take anything away from you. I want you to be human. I want your life to continue as it would have.
I bought this one because I have Volume 1. You can buy your copy here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!