Thursday, March 15, 2012

ARC Review: Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter

Goddess Interrupted
Author: Aimee Carter
Publication: Harlequin Teen; Original edition (March 27, 2012)


Description: Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it.


Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.

Henry's first wife, Persephone.


My Thoughts: This second story about Kate Winters was filled with angst. Kate has won immortality and has married Henry (Hades) but she is not certain of him or of her future. Almost immediately after she married him she was sent away for her six months on Earth. She spent the time hoping to see Henry but, as far as she knew, he stayed away. This only bolsters Kate's sense of inferiority and insecurity.


When she returns to the Underworld, she finds that Henry is distant and preoccupied. He isn't very emotionally demonstrative in the first place and is withdrawn even for him. Kate needs his reassurance that he loves her and wants her as his Queen but doesn't get it. She already feels that she is second best to his first wife Persephone who also happens to be her previously unknown older sister. Kate feels not only second best to Henry but second best to her mother too. She feels she was born just to be a second chance.


Besides her relationship angst which does consume a major part of this book, Kate's enemy Calliope has schemed to free Cronos from the captivity that has held him ever since the six gods managed to capture and imprison him. The gods are getting ready to battle Cronos and not at all certain of their ability to succeed now that Calliope has joined the other side. 


When the gods are captured it is up to Kate along with Ava and James to find a way to rescue them. Unfortunately the best hope for doing so lies with Persephone who gave up Henry and her immortality to marry Adonis. They need to track her down in the Underworld and convince her to help them free the gods. This leads to Kate getting to know Persephone and leads to some major jealousy too. 


The story revolves around issues of jealousy. Calliope is jealous of Kate. Kate is jealous of Persephone. And it deals with the incestuous seeming relationships among the gods. I will admit that I got a little tired of Kate's lack of self-assurance and her neediness in her relationship with Henry. But I still liked her stubbornness and willingness to fight for what she wanted through her self-doubts.


I recommend this story to those who enjoyed The Goddess Test and to those who love stories filled with emotional drama or those who love mythology brought into the modern world. The story will be continued in The Goddess Inheritance which will be going on my wishlist.

Favorite Quote:
I hesitated. Did he love me? Was he still in love with Persephone? Did he even want me to be crowned his queen, or was I simply a stand-in for my sister? Why hadn't he come to see me while I'd been in Greece with James?

But the courage it took for me to ask those questions had disappeared. I dug deep, trying to find some remnants of it as I imagined the inevitable six months of tension and loneliness if I didn't, but I came up empty. Every piece of me was drenched in sick fear that Henry didn't want me here after all, that he'd only gone along with it because my mother and the rest of the council had forced him to. That I would be to Henry what he had been to Persephone: nothing but an obligation. So I copped out.
I got the eARC from Harlequin Teen via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!