Friday, March 16, 2012

Book Beginning & Friday 56: Loss by Jackie Morse Kessler


Happy Friday everybody!!


Book Beginnings

Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages 
Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. 
If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

The Friday 56
Rules:
  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Freda's Voice
  • Post a link along with your post back to Freda's Voice
Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


I recently received Loss (Riders of the Apocalypse) by Jackie Morse Kessler from the Amazon Vine program which prompted me to read Hunger and Rage first. I really liked both of those books and look forward to reading this one as well. It will be released on March 20.


Here is the description:
Fifteen-year-old Billy Ballard is the kid that everyone picks on. But things change drastically when Death tells Billy he must stand in as Pestilence, the White Rider of the Apocalypse. Now armed with a Bow that allows him to strike with disease from a distance, Billy lashes out at his tormentors...and accidentally causes an outbreak of meningitis. Horrified by his actions, Billy begs Death to take back the Bow. For that to happen, says Death, Billy must track down the real White Rider, and stop him from unleashing something awful on humanity—something that could make the Black Plague look like a summer cold. Does one bullied teenager have the strength to stand his ground—and the courage to save the world?
Beginning:
The day before Death came for Billy Ballard...Billy was on the ground, getting the snot pounded out of him. Again.
Friday 56:
The boy slowly turned away from the door and saw the steed. His eyes widened, and as the boy stared mutely, the horse caught a whiff of moonlight and bedbugs: the scent of the White Rider.


4 comments:

  1. A whiff of moonlight and bedbugs?!?! This is interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a series I've been wanting to read since it came out and still haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy,

    Whilst your book this week is probably not one I shall be rushing out to buy, purely because I am not a lover of the genre, I have to say that I was completely taken in by your lines and actually felt that I wanted to know what was going on.

    Your first lines in particular were a very strong opener and caught my attention immediately.

    I hope that you enjoy your book and have a good weekend.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel sorry for Billy already. Great opening line!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!