Friday, March 9, 2012

Book Beginning & Friday 56: Traitor's Son by Hilari Bell

Happy Friday everybody!!

Book Beginnings

Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages 
Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. 
If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

The Friday 56
Rules:
  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Freda's Voice
  • Post a link along with your post back to Freda's Voice
Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


Hilari Bell sent me a copy of Traitor's Son which is the second book in the Raven Duet. I enjoyed the first book Trickster's Girl and look forward to reading this one too. I remember liking the blend of science and magic and the fantasy elements that were juxtaposed with everyday life.


Here is the description:
In Trickster's Girl, when Kesla's journey comes to an end, she passes the pouch and the quest on to someone else. She picks Jason, a native boy she thinks will be able to finish the job. But in fact, a family feud has cut Jason off from his traditional roots, and he is even more doubtful and resistant than Kesla was. But Raven, now a beautiful girl, is quite persuasive and manages to convince Jason this is something not only that he can do, but that he must if he wants to heal his family and the earth.
Beginning:
Raven felt the change in the catalyst the moment the pouch left the girl's hand, so sharply that he feared she died.
Friday 56:
"The only thing of value here is the antiquity of the pollens--which could be worth a few hundred if you could find a buyer. And that's something I might be able to help you with...for a percentage, of course."
 

6 comments:

  1. I'd have to check out the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting. If I read that first sentence, I would definitely have to keep reading! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really interesting. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like another good book. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got me with science and magic. This sounds like my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!