Monday, March 12, 2012

Worldbuilding

I recently got at email from Sarah at openroadmedia.com that included a link to a teaser video about worldbuilding featuring some of my favorite science fiction authors. Watch the video here:

I liked getting a chance to listen to some of my favorite authors as they talked about their craft.

I have been a long-time fan of Patricia C. Wrede. I have reviewed Thirteenth Child and Across the Great Barrier recently on this blog. They are the first two in her most recent Frontier Magic series. Some of my all-time favorites of her books include the Enchanted Forest Chronicles and the Sorcery and Cecelia series that she wrote with Caroline Stevermer. In the summer of 2010 I reviewed A Matter of Magic which included Mairelon the Magician and The Magician's Ward.


Barbara Hambly writes primarily for adults. She has done a series of historical mysteries taking place in New Orleans and featuring Benjamin January, a Free Man of Color. She has also written some of my favorite fantasies including The Darwath series featuring a student of medieval history who is transported to a fantasy world where magic is real. She even wrote a vampire book or two. You can see the complete list of her books by clicking on the link below.

Alan Dean Foster has written a number of stories I have read. He has written the Pip and Flinx science fiction series and even written some Star Trek books.

Listening to them talk about how they create their fantasy worlds started me thinking about the worlds that authors create whether they are completely different than our world or not. I also thought about how important a realistic world is to the stories I read.

Good fiction, no matter what the genre, takes us to a new place. The best ones make the place as real as the place we are when we step out our own front doors. Why else would we have so many people who would like to live in Forks or Narnia or the Shire?

I know that I would like to take up residence in the Liaden Universe or the world created by Lois McMaster Bujold in her Miles Vorkosigan stories. Who hasn't visited a place that they read about in a story or wanted to visit one?

What is your favorite literary world?

You can find out more about the authors featured in this video here:
You can also check out some excerpts of some of the authors' books here

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff here. I'd have to say that my favorite literary world to this day is Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy galaxy. I feel a lot of times he was able to use his humor to help in his worldbuilding, and it was almost always hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!