Thursday, April 12, 2012

Book Review: Until Next Time by Amy Lignor

Until Next Time: The Angel Chronicles, Book 1
Author: Amy Lignor
Publication: Tribute Books (January 24, 2012)


Description: How does a girl choose between the one who steals her heart and the one who owns her soul?

Matt and Emily were created for a specific job. Raised and trained as the ultimate angel/warrior team, they are sent down to save, defend, judge and forgive, depending on the 'life' they've been assigned. What they don't realize is that the power of human emotions, such as love, anger, passion and fear can take over even the best of souls, causing them to make mistakes and follow paths that lead to confusion and heartache.

When the reason for their training is finally revealed, the angel/warrior team find themselves thrust into a world they know nothing about. Matt takes over the life of Daniel, a young man with a great deal of baggage. Emily becomes Liz, a girl living in a remote village who relies on nothing more than her own strength to survive. A violent storm erupts one night, and framed in the window of Liz's establishment is a frightening face. Let in by the soul of a Good Samaritan, the two visitors bring with them a past full of secrets that could literally change an angel's path and a warrior's plans.

From murder to redemption, this angel/warrior team must find a way to keep the faith they have in each other in a world that's ripping them apart.




My Thoughts: I have to say that though this book was beautifully written I found it very confusing. I'm not sure that I really know what happened. I think that it bounces around in time which is what I found so confusing. Emily and Matt are human angels. They are raised and trained in heaven for some purpose. The are sent to Earth to do something. Most of this story deals with one life that Emily and Matt live. The focus is on Emily who is called Elizabeth in this life. She has a friend named Faith and the two girls meet Charles and Jason.


Matt and Emily are supposed to be soulmates and partners but when they go to Earth they don't remember that. As Elizabeth, Emily falls in love with Jason. Matt is Daniel in this life and is her friend.The main focus seems to be the relationship Elizabeth and Jason have. They travel to Dublin where Charles and Jonas need to confront Charles' parents who are evil drug dealers and slavers. Jason is the child of servants who are kept working for the Faires. He was abused by the mistress of the house, Charles' mother, and lost respect for his father because he thinks he knew and didn't help.

The whole story has a sort of dreamy feel. I do think that I liked the scenes that took place in heaven the best. Emily and Matt are taught by some of the archangels who are sometimes very human seeming and funny. I liked when Emily turned St. Mark into a lizard. I liked that the saints kept coming up with phrases that are well-known and saying that they think they will catch on.

This story will take a special kind of reader. It needs someone who can get lost in the prose and follow the complexity of the story. Unfortunately, I was not that reader.


Favorite Quote:
She looked up at the picture on the ceiling. "Is it possible to slay the dragon, marry the prince, and live happily ever after?"

"If you have no worries--no eyes to see their pain, no ears to hear their call. There's always something that has to be done. Usually by the time the dragon is dead and the prince has won, there's another that needs saving. It's the downside of who you are." He sighed heavily. "You're an angel and your job is to help humans who need you."
I received this ebook for review in exchange for an honest opinion. You can buy your copy here.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ms. Martin - I'm sorry the book wasn't your type of thing, but I do appreciate your time and allowing the angel/warrior team a spot on your site. The second novel is quite different in this series, being that the backstory is laid out, so perhaps it will appeal to you more. (Oh, just as an FYI only, Jason is the name of the male character.) I like the Heaven parts the best too :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I'm glad you enjoyed "visiting heaven" through the eyes of Matt and Emily :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!