Sunday, April 8, 2012

In My YA Mailbox (April 8, 2012)



The weekly In My Mailbox post is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. It is fun to see what everyone else gets in their mailboxes, shopping bags, and library visits. Click on the link to The Story Siren's site to see the rules and join in the fun.
 
I guarantee that your TBR pile will grow when you see all the wonderful books everyone gets. You will discover lots of great blogs and lots of books that you won't be able to live without.


Here is what I got this week. Luckily, I am on Spring Break and have a little bit more reading time than usual. I might actually get a chance to look at some of these instead of just adding them to the TBR Mountain.
Renegade Magic by Stephanie Burgis is the second book in the Kat, Incorrigible series. I liked the first book which reminded me of some of Patricia C. Wrede's books because of their combination of Regency manners and mores and magic. 

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers has been on my radar and on pre-order for quite a while. I have heard so many good things about this on the blogs I follow that I needed to add this one to my stack.

Memory Boy by Will Weaver is not a new book. It was called to my attention while I was at the Spotlight on Books Conference last weekend. Weaver was there Thursday night and had the sequel for signing. I had to buy a copy to get his autograph but needed the first book too. I like that these are realistic fiction, take place after some devastating volcanic eruptions, and take place in Minnesota.
Further discussion of these two books at Spotlight tipped the balance for me and convinced me that I needed to add Wonder by R. J. Palacio and The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate to my stack. I have been seeing great reviews for these titles. Even though they are not in genres I usually read, I had to buy copies for myself.
I am also adding to my review stack this week. The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy is one of my Amazon Vine books. I was fascinated when I read the description of this twisted fairy tale. 

Keeping Safe the Stars by Sheila O'Connor is so new that I couldn't find a cover online. I got this one from the author at Spotlight on Books. This is an October release. Here is the description:
When crisis hits, a young girl becomes the only one left to take care of her family

Pride, Nightingale and Baby are the Stars. Orphaned and living with their grandfather, Old Finn, in rural Minnesota, the children, like their grandfather, are wary of outsiders. They believe, as Old Finn taught them, in self-reliance.

But then Old Finn falls seriously ill and is taken to the hospital all the way in Duluth, leaving the children to fend for themselves. Pride, as oldest, assumes the lead. Though she makes mistakes, she keeps them afloat; they even earn money for the bus trip to Duluth. But when they finally see Old Finn, he can't walk or even say his own name, and Pride knows her days of keeping safe the Stars are drawing to a close. Self-reliance can't make Old Finn well again. But maybe, just maybe, a secret from Old Finn's past might make a way for them to stay together after all.

A poignant story about family and love, Sheila O'Connor has delivered another extraordinary and mesmerizing tale.
These were my additions to my massive TBR Mountain. What did you get this week?

10 comments:

  1. Nice! Not familiar with all these, but I hope you enjoy em all!!

    Here's my IMM

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grave Mercy and Wonder definitely need to be looked at! Have a great break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping Safe the Stars sounds new to me, too! Will look into it later. Yay for Grave Mercy and Wonder - I've read amazing reviews on these. Happy reading!

    Here's my In My Mailbox. Drop by if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard so many great things about Grave Mercy! Can't wait to read your review! Thanks for stopping by my Mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even more great books. Grave Mercy is excellent! I really enjoyed it. I'm very interested in Wonder, as well as The One and Only Ivan.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you have a nice haul for this week!

    Happy reading,
    Dani
    http://paulettespapers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ivan and Wonder are SO GOOD! Definitely two of the best books I've read so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of many of these but Grave Mercy is definitely on my to-be-read list! Hope you enjoy everything you got in this week :)

    You can see my IMM video and post for this week at the link below-- Happy Reading! :)

    Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland

    ReplyDelete
  9. I farmed out Grave Mercy to our wonderful school secretary, and while she loved it, she didn't think it was quite middle school. Wonder... It's one teachers love, but my new copy did get checked out by a student.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!