Wednesday, May 9, 2012

ARC Review: Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

Hemlock
Author: Kathleen Peacock
Publication: Katherine Tegen Books (May 8, 2012)


Description: Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.

Since then, Mac's life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac's hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy's killer: 

A white werewolf. 

Lupine syndrome--also known as the werewolf virus--is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control. 

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy's murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy's boy-friend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk. 

Kathleen Peacock's thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spell-binding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love.




My Thoughts: This was an excellent and enthralling story. I quickly got caught up in the life of Mac as she tries to survive after the death of her best friend Amy in a werewolf attack. Amy is still visiting her in her nightmares as she relives the horror of her death. 


Jason, Kyle, Amy and Mac were best friends even though their social status wasn't the same. Amy was the granddaughter of a senator and was rich and sort of spoiled. Jason was her boyfriend and was also rich and privileged. Kyle's family lived in the good part of town but he wasn't one of the super-rich. Mac's situation was very different. She is living with her cousin Tess who took her in after she was abandoned by her criminal father. She hasn't had very much love or security in her life. 


After Amy's death things started changing for the friends. Jason is drinking too much. Kyle is keeping secrets. And then the Trackers come to town. The Trackers are a group that started as White Supremists but have found their new cause - werewolves. Lupine syndrome, aka the werewolf virus, is spreading. The government is interning werewolves and taking their property and all their civil rights. People, who are bitten and who can, hide that they are werewolves. It is only some werewolves who develop bloodlust and turn into killers but all werewolves are treated the same.


This story is part a story about changing friendships, part a murder mystery, part a romance, and part a story about werewolves. I liked the way Mac decides to try to find the werewolf who killed Amy and what she learns along the way. I hurt for her when she found out that her friends were all keeping secrets from her. I liked the relationship between Jason, Kyle, and Mac but was sort of surprised the Mac was so oblivious to how the boys felt about her. 


I don't want to say anything to spoil the book. There are lots of twists and turns, surprises and betrayals. I think that it will be appealing to fans of romances, mysteries, and paranormal creatures. I thought it was great and can't wait to recommend it to my students. 


Favorite Quote:
Not that the sight of me in a tank top and boxers would have any effect on him. Kyle was only peripherally aware that I was a girl. That was one reason we'd always be strictly platonic. Even if I wanted to go there -- which I didn't -- Kyle didn't seem to realize there was a "there" to go to.
I received this ARC from Amazon Vine. You can buy your copy here.


2 comments:

  1. AWESOME review! I'm FOR SURE going to be downloading this book onto my Nook! I can hardly wait for all those twists and turns :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for this book! I know it's out already but we don't have it yet in our bookstores. It just sounds so interesting and it's the type of book I'd read. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!