Friday, May 18, 2012

Book Beginning & Friday 56: Bridge of Time by Lewis Buzbee


Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week.
Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Bridge of Time by Lewis Buzbee has finally made its way to the top of my review stack. I got this one with a bunch of other ARCs from Macmillan Children's Group in December. It will be released on May 22. Here is the description:
Best friends Lee Jones and Joan Lee have a lot more in common besides their names. On the eve of their class trip, they each learn their parents are getting divorced. Ugh. The class trip is a dud, so Lee and Joan steal away to talk. What follows is an afternoon nap in a lighthouse, waking up to find the Golden Gate Bridge gone--gone!--and meeting a young man named Sam Clemens, who is on the run from a mysterious stranger.

Lee and Joan wonder: Where are they? What year is it? Why don't their cell phones work? How will they get back? Do they even want to? Will life ever be the same?

Beginning:
What Lee Jones should have expected when he entered City School's multipurpose room was that the most awful morning of his life was about to get much awfuller.
Awfuller? Is that a word? Though I know exactly what he means. Who hasn't had a morning like that?

Friday 56:
But from the moment Lee looked out from the lighthouse windows and saw the city that was no longer there, he'd been stoked about the whole time travel thing.
Personally, I would find unexpected time travel completely unnerving. I want to only travel one way--to the future. And I prefer to do it one day at a time.

What about you? Would you like to travel in time?

6 comments:

  1. A city no longer there??? That sounds pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam Clemens? I'm betting Sam is short for Samuel. And a missing city. This sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm not sure "stoked" would be the word I'd apply to myself if I looked out and the city was suddenly missing.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great excerpts! I'm going to look out for this one. Sounds like a good one for our kids, and I'd enjoy it, too, I think! My Friday post:
    http://wcs53.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/book-beginnings-and-friday-56-larrys-party-may-18/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That beginning sounds pretty bad. I like the GG Bridge on the cover.

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings! Sorry I am slow this week to come by and visit your post.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!