Monday, May 7, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions: Comments (May 7, 2012)



Book Blogger Confessions is a new Monday meme started by Tiger at Tiger's All-Consuming Books and Karen at For What It's Worth. The purpose of the meme is best stated by Karen here:
"Tiger and I thought it might be time to start a meme to discuss some of the frustrations that are unique to book bloggers. What happens when the hobby you love becomes more of a chore?
This meme will appear on the first and third Mondays of the month. Tiger or Karen will give us a question to respond to and a linky for sharing our responses and developing community.


This week's question is: Comments. The holy grail of blogging success! What type of posts do you leave comments on? How do you try to encourage more comments on your blog? Do you respond to people who leave comments on your postsHow do you handle negative/spam comments? Do you use captcha?


Commenting is a hard topic. I love to get them but am not so good at giving them. I do look at a lot of blog posts every day in my Google Reader but I seldom go to the actual post to leave a comment. I am more likely to go to the actual blog and leave a comment is the blogger ends with a question that interests me. I may comment on a review if I have also read the book. (I don't read reviews until I have read the book.)


I do comment on a number of posts when I participate in a meme. My usual procedure is to visit at least 10 of the blogs that are directly above me in the linky list. That way I get a chance to explore some blogs that I probably don't know about. I tend to end up following a few new blogs each week this way. Currently I am doing this for Teaser Tuesday, Stacking the Shelves, and It's Monday, What Are You Reading? I also do this for Book Blogger Confessions most weeks. Some days are busier than others and I don't have time to follow through on this plan though. 


I do respond to comments when the person leaves me a link. Links back to their blog in comments left on mine are the best way to get me to comment back. Since I get notification of comments in my email, I sometimes hit the reply button and answer back. I don't really know where that email goes. 


I don't use Captcha. So every once in a while I will get a spam comment. It is easy with Blogger to go into my settings and delete inappropriate comments. I don't want to put any sort of roadblock in the way of potential commenters. I haven't received any negative comments on my blog and I certainly have never left any. If I disagree with a post, I just don't comment. Life's too short to start a controversy and I don't like conflict. 


I feel like I should set a personal goal for myself to make sure that I comment on at least 10 posts a day. Of course, my Google Reader had over 500 posts in it today. One in fifty doesn't sound like much commenting but it would be an improvement over my current rate of commenting.


What about you? Are you a devoted commenter or not?

9 comments:

  1. Almost everyone said today that they love comments but aren't good at leaving them lol (including myself)

    I've been trying to commit to 10 comments per day in addition to my friends blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea about visiting the 10 links above you in Linky list! Thanks for that. :)

    10 comments per day is doable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a very small circle of blogs that I visit each day and comment on if I have something meaningful to add. Otherwise I try to go through my reader about once a week and comment on anything that jumps out at me. Sometimes it is just so hard to come up with something original to add, because I hate to just repeat "great review" over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do leave comments as much as I can. I also try to make them meaningful , buts its tough because sometimes I enjoyed the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to visit everyone who leaves a comment for me and return the favor, and have a personal goal of leaving a minimum of 10 comments a day from my reader. Like you, the best way to get me to leave a comment is to leave me a link.

    When I have time, I like to comment on the 10 links above me, then the 10 links after me on memes. And sometimes I'll click a link on another blogger's comment just to see what their blog looks like. Have found several cool, new blogs that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made commenting on posts one of my New Year's resolutions last year. I didn't make it one this year. haha I'm not good at it on a consistent basis simply due to time. Take this meme for instance. It's a small one and I'm already on 30 minutes and half way through. haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try to comment on the blogs right before mine in a linky list for a meme too. It doesn't seem right to just leave a link and leave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been trying to leave at least 5 meaningful comments a day. Some days I'm able to leave way more than that (especially on days that when I am doing a meme) and some days it's a struggle to do 5. I do try to visit at least some of the other blogs participating in the memes I do - I feel that if I am going to link my post to a meme, I should at least visit some others that are doing the same. I also think this encourages more commenting.

    One thing I started doing is ending my reviews with a question. I find that it is leading to more comments being left. I tend to only comment on those reviews of books I've already read. If I haven't read the book yet, I might leave a comment, but I don't always read the whole review because I don't want to read any spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you try to visit at least 10 blogs above you when participating in memes. I feel like there are many that link up and don't bother visiting.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!