Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Book Review: Pack of Lies by Sara Dailey and Staci Weber

Pack of Lies (Red Ridge Pack)
Authors: Sara Dailey and Staci Weber
Publication: Boroughs Publishing Group (April 6, 2012)


Description: Seventeen-year-old Allison Wright is convinced she’s losing her mind. Uncontrollable mood swings, hot flashes, and the urge to punch anyone who gets in her way are suddenly becoming everyday occurrences. Before her erratic behavior gets out of hand, Allison’s mother finally comes clean about her dark secret. Mom is a werewolf, and soon Allison and her brother Aiden will suffer the same fate. When Allison reaches her breaking point, the family leaves their life in Texas to move to Red Ridge, New Mexico where they rejoin the pack that Allison’s mother left behind almost 20 years ago. 

Unfortunately, not everyone in Red Ridge is thrilled about Allison’s arrival, especially when she attracts the attention of the very handsome, very taken, soon-to-be alpha, Cade Walker. Little does Allison know, her mere presence is causing a rift in a once unified pack. Not only has Cade been forbidden from being with Allison by his father, the pack’s alpha, Cade’s girlfriend, Kendall Stuart, will stop at nothing to get Allison out of the picture. Well on her way to becoming the next alpha’s mate, Kendall expects to rule the pack by Cade’s side even if it means teaming up with a rogue werewolf with an agenda of his own. Determined to get rid of Allison permanently, when Kendall and the rogue join forces, all hell breaks loose and no one in the pack is safe, especially not Cade and his true mate. 




My Thoughts: I love werewolf books! This was a good one. Allison is having problems at school. She has lost all her friends, is being hit on by guys she hasn't even said hello to, and is getting into fights with jealous girls. She doesn't know what is going on. When her mother tells her that she and her older brother are werewolves, her first reaction is laughter of the "you must be kidding" variety. But watching her mother transform into a wolf convinces her that her mother is telling the truth. Her mother fell in love with her human father and left the pack to be with him. She has never told her kids anything about what was in store for them when they grew up. The family is packing up and moving from Houston back to Red Ridge, New Mexico to be with her mother's family. Allison hopes that this will give her a chance for a fresh start and new friends. 


The story is told in the first person by three of the characters. Each chapter heading tells us if we will be hearing the story from Allison, Cade or Kendall. Cade is the son of the current alpha and knows that it is his task to be the next alpha. Kendall is the girl who has been chosen to be his mate. 


The problems start when Allison and Cade take one look at each other and fall instantly in love. Normally, I am not a fan of "insta-love" but can let it slide this time because they are both werewolves and werewolves do fall instantly in love if they meet their true mate (according to the mythology of this story). Not all werewolves find true mates. There hasn't been such a pairing in the pack since a couple in the great-grandparent generation. 


Kendall is not willing to step aside for Allison for a variety of reasons. She is under great pressure from her mother to latch onto Cade to raise her family's status in the pack. She is also determined to keep Cade because she likes being the alpha's girlfriend. She makes it hard for Allison in a number of ways.


I was of two minds about Cade. At first I didn't like him because he couldn't make a decision about the girls. Of course, he was under a lot of pressure too. His father favored Kendall and disliked Allison and her family. Did I mention that the werewolf Allison's mother set aside when she fell for Allison's father was the current alpha? He was also a lot of pressure from Kendall to keep up the relationship. 


This was an exciting story with lots of romance and some danger too. I enjoyed it and will be looking for more in the Red Ridge Pack Series. Romance and werewolf fans will both be satisfied by this story.


Favorite Quote (from Cade's point of view):
It was at that moment that I realized a few things. I was beginning to hate the girl next to me -- the one I was supposed to love. I was losing the girl I wanted to be with -- the one I was pretty sure I was falling in love with -- and as long as I was the future alpha, my life was not my own.

Was being the alpha of this pack worth giving up the freedom to make my own decisions? How long will I be able to stand by and let my future be decided for me?
I was sent this ebook in exchange for an honest review. You can buy your copy here

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the awesome review! Sara and I are hard at work on Book 2. It should be out in Sept.

    Thanks again!

    Staci Weber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the awesome review! Staci and I appreciate your supports and thank you for posting it on Amazon, Goodreads, and Librarything! Every little bit helps!

    BTW, I like that quote too. Forgot it was in there :) Wonder who wrote it, me or Staci!

    Sara Dailey

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!