Sunday, May 6, 2012

Stacking the Shelves (May 6, 2012)

Tynga of Tynga's Reviews is starting a new meme to spotlight the books we receive each week. She explains at her site. She also does a very nice vlog each week showing her books (and hopefully her new baby).

Another option is Mailbox Monday which was originally started by Marcia at A Girl and Her Books. She hosted it for a long time but in April 2010 she decided to make it a traveling meme. You can see all the details here. You will also find a list of the 2012 hosts. 

Martha from Reviews by Martha's Bookshelf will be hosting in May.

I guarantee that your TBR pile will grow when you see all the wonderful books everyone gets. You will also discover lots of great blogs and lots of books that you won't be able to live without.



This week I added eight books to my endless TBR mountain. First, here are the ones I bought:
I had to get Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore because I was a fan of Graceling and Fire. This is one of those books that I plan to read and then donate to my High School Media Center. But looking at my review calendar, I won't have a chance to read it until sometime this summer.

Silence by Michelle Sagara is the first book in a new series. She says that this is a contemporary fantasy and ghost story and doesn't have much romance. I love her adult Cast in... series and look forward to seeing how she writes for a young adult audience. 

Next, here are the books I got this week for review:
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas is a fantasy with princes and assassins and sounds like it should be really exciting. I got this one from NetGalley and Bloomsbury Children's Books. It will be on the stack for a while because it has a August 7 release date.

Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock was one of my Amazon Vine picks this month. I have to do a quick turnaround on this mystery with werewolves because it will be released on May 8. By the time this is posted I should have finished it. It has been very much a pageturner so far.
The Opposite of Hallelujah by Anna Jarzab is another book I got from NetGalley and Delacorte. I chose this one on the strength of the author's name because I really liked All Unquiet Things. This one will also sit on the stack for a while because it won't be released until Oct. 9.

Rush for the Gold by John Feinstein was another Amazon Vine pick. This is a contemporary mystery that is one of a series. All of them are also centered around a sport. I have read some of the books in the series but won't guarantee that I haven't missed one. This is also a quick turnaround book because of its May 22 release date. 

Last, I did something I haven't done in quite a while. I added some free books to my Kindle. I couldn't resist these even though I have no idea when I will be able to read them:
Moon Spell by Samantha Young was chosen because I just can't resist werewolf books. This opening sentence convinced me I had to have it: "Enter a world of fierce wolves, stunning magic and romance..." and the price didn't hurt.

Glamour by Penelope Fletcher was another one I couldn't resist. This is the sentence that convinced me to add it to the stack: "Rae is forced to make the ultimate choice: to live and die human, or embrace her birth-right and wield magics that could turn her into something wicked, a force of nature nothing can control."

Those were my additions this week. What did you do to stack your shelves?


Just a quick BTW, have you seen this post by Sarah Ockler who is talking about diversity in YA books? While most of the post was serious, this really made me chuckle:
Actively diversifying our fiction does not mean any of the following:

Giving a character almond-shaped eyes or coffee-mocha-latte-chocolate-hazelnut-caramel-cappuccino-colored skin. In fact, as a general rule, writers seeking inspiration solely from Starbucks menus probably need to dial down the caffeine.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! They all look wonderful! Silence looks really good, and Hemlock was my Waiting on Wednesday pick a few weeks back.

    I hope you enjoy all your new books!

    http://darlenesbooknook.blogspot.ca/2012/05/stacking-shelves-may-6-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silence and Hemlock look really good. I need to get my hands on Bitterblue as well.
    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hemlock is on the MUST PURCHASE NOW LIST!!!
    Thank you so much for visiting me!
    I LOVED LOVED Sorcery and Cecelia and the other two as well.
    I hope to spread the word about these great books to all who will read them.
    I am a homeschooling mom of three and while they are on vacation with their grandmother I am reading!
    Thank you sooo much for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait for Throne of Glass! It was on my Waiting on Wednesday post this week. I'm also dying to read Bitterblue! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome haul Kathy. I can't wait for Hemlock, like you, I love a good werewolf book so I have just downloaded Moon Spell too. Thanks for the heads up there. Enjoy all your books.

    Thanks for stopping by my Stack

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read Bitterblue and Hemlock! Great haul this week:) Hope you'll drop by and see what I got.

    http://jrafterdark.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/this-week-on-j-r-after-dark/

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahh I really need to buy Hemlock! Awesome Haul! Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

    Old Follower! :)

    Visit My STS Post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, I may have to pick up Hemlock. I'll be looking forward to your review on that one. Great haul!

    Thanks for visiting my haul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVED Bitterblue! Hope you can read it soon!
    Happy Reading & Thanks for joining STS =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahaha, Sarah Ockler! OMG! XD

    I plan to read Graceling! :D Did you review the novel? :)

    Patricia // My Week

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOoh all very nice! Not sure if I want to read this Throne of Glass. Hearing a lot about it though! I loved Hemlock! Hope you enjoy that one too!

    Here's my Stacking the Shelves

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got a lot of goodies! hope you enjoy them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking at all the books you got I guess it is a good thing summer is on the way so you can do some serious reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep seeing Bitterblue everywhere. I had no idea it was in the Graceling series. These are some gorgeous looking titles. Happy reading! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many great book! Bitterblue is on my wishlist, along with Throne Of Glass!

    Happy Reading! *New Follower*

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!