Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Teaser Tuesday: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo has reached the top of my review stack. I was sent this one by my contact at Macmillan Children's Publishing Group who says it was the best book she has read this year. It is, naturally, the first book in a trilogy. Here is the description:
Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart.

Teaser (from page 33 of the ARC):
Something inside me gave way, in fury, in hopelessness, in the certainty of my own death. I felt Mal's blood beneath my palms, saw the pain in his beloved face. A volcra screeched in triumph as its talons sank into my shoulder. Pain shot through my body.

And the world went white.

5 comments:

  1. OOh another interesting tease!! Haven't heard of this one but I hope you're enjoying it! Happy Reading!

    Here's my Teaser

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great teaser! I've been seeing a lot of buzz on this book. I've got a vintage teaser today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Teaser!! I really want to read this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to reading your review of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The writing in the teaser is more appealing than the description. Hope you enjoy it. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!