Friday, June 8, 2012

Friday Memes: Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week.

Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.



Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown has made its way to the top of my review stack. This book will be released on June 12. I got my copy from NetGalley and chose it because it is set in Lake Superior. I grew up by the lake and had never thought that it could be inhabited by mermaids. Here is the description:
Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistable good looks and charm on ususpecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.
Beginning:
I hadn't killed anyone all winter, and I have to say I felt pretty good about that.
Friday 56:
Mrs, Hancock cried into her husband's shoulder. "Don't ever leave me," she said, and she laid her head against his chest.
Creepy merpeople! Revenge! This one is starting out to be pretty interesting and is more in tune with the mermaid myths I first new than the current crop of mermaid books. It is a refreshing change.

7 comments:

  1. This one does sound very tempting...thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. What a thing to feel good about...not killing anyone "all winter." Summer must be the peak season for that. :-)

      Here are my Friday Memes.

      Delete
  3. Aha! A mermaid book! And with the beginning sounds a little bit inspired by Dexter.

    Here's my Book Beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks cool and went straight on my Amazon wish list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one attention-grabbing opener!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lake seems a little cold for mermaids. Here is my post: Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!