Friday, June 15, 2012

Friday Memes: Pie by Sarah Weeks


Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week.



Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


I needed something different than my usual paranormals to read and chose Pie by Sarah Weeks from my review stack. This middle grade book is one of the May selections for the Scholastic Mother Daughter Book Club. I was sent the May and June books for publicizing the club. Now I have time to read one.

Here is the description:
From the award-winning author of SO B. IT, a story about family, friendship, and...pie!

When Alice's Aunt Polly passes away, she takes with her the secret to her world-famous pie-crust recipe. Or does she? In her will, Polly leaves the recipe to her extraordinarily surly cat Lardo . . . and then leaves Lardo in the care of Alice.

Suddenly Alice is thrust into the center of a piestorm, with everyone in town trying to be the next pie-contest winner ... including Alice's mother and some of Alice's friends. The whole community is going pie-crazy . . . and it's up to Alice to discover the ingredients that really matter. Like family. And friendship. And enjoying what you do.
Beginning:
"Thank you very much."

Alice was standing beside the bed when her aunt Polly reached a trembling hand out from beneath the leopard-print bedspread (Polly loved leopard print) and pulled the girl close to whisper in her ear.

"Thank you very much."

They would be the last words Polly Portman, the Pie Queen of Ipswich, ever spoke.

This book actually begins with a facsimile of a recipe for Apple Pie but I didn't want to just give the first ingredient.

Friday 56:
She had a beauty mark on the right-hand corner of her upper lip and she wore horn-rimmed glasses that made her eyes unnaturally large. Alice couldn't help thinking she looked like a goldfish peering out from inside a fishbowl.
Interesting image! I wonder if she is one of the people who want to find Polly's recipe for pie crust or if she has a different role in the story.


8 comments:

  1. I love the cover. My cat would so be jumping into that pie!

    Here's my Book Beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting description in your 56. And I'm wondering what the thanks is for....

    Here's my Friday Meme Post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at the descriptive visual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha--The Friday 56 reminds me of myself a little. I have a beauty mark on the left-hand corner of my bottom lip and I'm blind as a bat, so if I were wearing glasses, I'm sure I'd look like a goldfish peering out of a fish bowl too.

    Really fun Friday 56.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol,lol, great choice!!
    http://sidnereading.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the descriptive sentences! she could be a very interesting person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the imagery! New follower. So nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that cover and the idea that the cat know how to make the pie crust is just too much.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!