Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Teaser Tuesday: Dark Companion by Marta Acosta



Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
Dark Companion by Marta Acosta has worked its way to the top of my review stack. I chose this one from the Amazon Vine program. I love boarding school stories and this one is a paranormal too. Here is the description:
Orphaned at the age of six, Jane Williams has grown up in a series of foster homes, learning to survive in the shadows of life. Through hard work and determination, she manages to win a scholarship to the exclusive Birch Grove Academy. There, for the first time, Jane finds herself accepted by a group of friends. She even starts tutoring the headmistress’s gorgeous son, Lucien. Things seem too good to be true.

They are.

The more she learns about Birch Grove’s recent past, the more Jane comes to suspect that there is something sinister going on. Why did the wife of a popular teacher kill herself? What happened to the former scholarship student, whose place Jane took? Why does Lucien’s brother, Jack, seem to dislike her so much?

As Jane begins to piece together the answers to the puzzle, she must find out why she was brought to Birch Grove—and what she would risk to stay there….
Teaser:
I pressed down my fury until it metamorphosed as soft messy carbonate does into a diamond so hard it can cut through steel and with such clarity that I could use it as a lens to see the world as it truly was, cruel and capricious.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my, I am loving the teaser! Such beautiful words.

    Thanks for stopping by my Teaser Tuesday!

    Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful teaser! It seems as though the author truly has a way with words. Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my teaser earlier!

    Wendy @ Escape Into Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this book. I hope you do too!

    Reading Lark's Teasers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous writing! Sounds like a book I'd like to read!

    http://freshcoffeespot.blogspot.com/2012/06/teaser-tuesday-16.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I really like this teaser!
    Thanks for stopping by! :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good one, I hope you enjoy(ed) it! Mine: The Lightning Thief

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome teaser. Sounds like a really good read. You should definitely read A Million Suns real soon, it is worth it. Thanks for sharing and visiting my TT. =]
    -Michael @ The Bookshelf Review

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the teaser! I really liked Dark Companion it was different and dark. I hope you are enjoying it.
    Thanks for droping by my teaser:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read this book so bad, and it sounds really good. That teaser just makes me want to read it more, because it makes it sound like it has a lot of emotions! Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my teaser!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!