Monday, July 2, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions (July 2. 2012)



Book Blogger Confessions is a new Monday meme started by Tiger at Tiger's All-Consuming Books and Karen at For What It's Worth. The purpose of the meme is best stated by Karen here:
"Tiger and I thought it might be time to start a meme to discuss some of the frustrations that are unique to book bloggers. What happens when the hobby you love becomes more of a chore?
This meme will appear on the first and third Mondays of the month. Tiger or Karen will give us a question to respond to and a linky for sharing our responses and developing community.


This week's question is: Blogging controversies. How do you address them? Do you join the Twitter frenzy? Write a post? Stay on the sidelines and hope they go away? How do you think we should address plagiarism scandals? Bad author behavior? Negative comments on our blogs?


I hate controversies. My tendency is to ignore them and hope they will go away. Most do blow over rather quickly if people stop throwing fuel on the fire by tweeting and writing posts. 


As a librarian, I am not a fan of plagiarism. I teach my students about it. I don't do it. I don't follow people who are known plagiarists. During the recent controversy, I stopped following the blogger and don't participate in memes from that site any longer. As this was a personal decision, I didn't feel any need to publicize it or encourage others to do the same thing. People should have the right to decide for themselves what they can accept and what they cannot.


As for bad author behavior, I try to ignore it. I can't think that anything good can come out of it for the author. It doesn't seem that alienating bloggers would be good for any author's career. There are lots of us and we have a pretty wide reach in the online community at least. 


As far as negative comments on my blog, I have never gotten any. I would likely delete the comment if I did get something that was inappropriate. People can certainly disagree with my opinions but personal attacks would not be acceptable behavior. 


Those are my opinions, yours may certainly be different. What do you think about blogging controversies?

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you, especially for the fact that drama lives only as long as there are people to listen and talk about it. My stance on plagiarism might inspire me to unfollow bloggers who choose to plagiarize, but there's no reason for me to shove it down my readers' throats. As for authors behaving badly, it just makes me sad when they choose to alienate those that could help them promote their books. Good answer from my fellow librarian. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said.

    We shouldn't sweep things under the rug but it really doesn't accomplish anything to add fuel to the fire especially when it's done in a way that's meant to tear people down rather than educate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything you said everything :) I agree that things shouldn't be swept under the rug.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!