Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Two Recent DNFs

I don't do this very often but, occasionally, I will start and book and decide for one reason or another not to finish it. This has happened twice in the past month. I thought I would briefly explain why these two didn't work for me.


Spark: A Sky Chasers Novel by Amy Kathleen Ryan is the sequel to Glow which I have read and reviewed. Here is the description:
Waverly, Kieran and Seth are in a race against time – and with the future of humanity hanging in the balance, there’s no room for mistakes…

After a desperate escape from the enemy ship, Waverly has finally made it back to the Empyrean. The memory of home has been keeping her alive for the past months… but home is nothing like she left it. Forced to leave their captive parents behind on the New Horizon, she’s returned only to find that Kieran has become a strict leader and turned the crew against Seth. What happened to the Kieran she thought she knew? Now Waverly’s not sure whom she can trust. And the one person she wants to believe in is darkly brilliant Seth, the ship’s supposed enemy. Waverly knows that the situation will only get worse until they can rescue their parents – but how?

Before they have time to make a plan, an explosion rocks the Empyrean, and Seth and Waverly are targeted as the prime suspects. Can they find the true culprit before Kieran locks them away… or worse? Will Waverly follow her heart, even if it puts lives at risk? Now more than ever, every step could bring them closer to a new beginning – or a sudden end.
Why It Wasn't For Me: While the characters were well-written and well-developed, I just didn't like them. I thought Kieran was a petty, vindictive dictator and I thought Waverly was an anti-religious bigot. I also thought that Seth's character changed so much that I didn't know who he was. My dislike for the main characters made me abandon this one.

The Goddess Legacy by Aimee Carter is a collection of five short stories which complement her other books  - The Goddess Test and Goddess Interrupted - which I read and reviewed. Here is the description:
For millennia we've caught only glimpses of the lives and loves of the gods and goddesses on Olympus. Now Aimée Carter pulls back the curtain on how they became the powerful, petty, loving and dangerous immortals that Kate Winters knows.


Calliope/Hera represented constancy and yet had a husband who never matched her faithfulness….


Ava/Aphrodite was the goddess of love and yet commitment was a totally different deal….


Persephone was urged to marry one man, yet longed for another….


James/Hermes loved to make trouble for others but never knew true loss before….

Henry/Hades's solitary existence had grown too wearisome to continue. But meeting Kate Winters gave him a new hope….
Why It Wasn't For Me: I just didn't like the characters. I have always thought that the Greek gods were petty, self-indulgent, arrogant, and childish. These are not characteristics that make me want to know more about them. The stories that I started were well-written but I just couldn't engage with the characters.


Bottom line for me seems to be this - if I don't like the characters in a story or find their story compelling, I am going to abandon the book. I don't like to abandon books but I also don't want to spend my limited reading time with characters I don't like. I am not saying these are not good, entertaining stories. All I am saying is that I am not the right reader for them.


What do you think? Did I give up too soon?

2 comments:

  1. Nope. I recently had such a stack Of unhappiness that I will post a dozen or so books next week that I just couldn't review. Sometimes it's me, sometimes it's the book. The are so many books that I can't buy them all for the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man ... I think we have different reading tastes. I loved The Goddess Legacy and I'm really looking forward to Spark. But I totally get where you're coming from with the characters in Glow/Spark. They bug me too. I just can't stop reading!! :) Sorry they didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!