Friday, August 31, 2012

Friday Memes: Outpost by Ann Aguirre


Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

I am reading Outpost by Ann Aguirre this week. This is a young adult dytopia, sequel to Enclave, and a review book that will be published on Sept. 4. Here is the description:
Deuce’s whole world has changed. Down below, she was considered an adult. Now, topside in a town called Salvation, she’s a brat in need of training in the eyes of the townsfolk. She doesn’t fit in with the other girls: Deuce only knows how to fight.

To make matters worse, her Hunter partner, Fade, keeps Deuce at a distance. Her feelings for Fade haven’t changed, but he seems not to want her around anymore. Confused and lonely, she starts looking for a way out.

Deuce signs up to serve in the summer patrols—those who make sure the planters can work the fields without danger. It should be routine, but things have been changing on the surface, just as they did below ground. The Freaks have grown smarter. They’re watching. Waiting. Planning. The monsters don’t intend to let Salvation survive, and it may take a girl like Deuce to turn back the tide.
Beginning:
I woke to the cold kiss of steel on my throat.
Friday 56:
"I think so. Not that I'm an expert. I don't feel this way about everyone."
My brows went down. "I should hope not."

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, that is some beginning! Gasp....

    Thanks for sharing, and here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Cold kiss of steel" sure woke me up! Great beginning.
    My beginning is from The Roots of the Olive Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, good opening line! This looks like it would be a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My image of this sentence changed with each new word that came up. Good opening!

    Book Beginning Post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want this book so bad I could cry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh!!!! SO EXCITING! I read the first book, I'll have to read the second.

    http://thereadingkorner.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-sneak-like-beginning-book-beginnings.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I knew any YA readers because your blog would be the first place I sent them to for inspiration!

    Thanks for posting on BBOF!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!