Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday Memes: Skylark by Meagan Spooner


Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


Skylark by Meagan Spooner has been on my review stack for a while but I thought it was an October 1 release and I had lots of time. I just found out that it is actually an August 1 release. That moved it to the top of my review stack!


Here is the description:
Vis in magia, in vita vi. In magic there is power, and in power, life. 

For fifteen years, Lark Ainsley waited for the day when her Resource would be harvested and she would finally be an adult. After the harvest she expected a small role in the regular, orderly operation of the City within the Wall. She expected to do her part to maintain the refuge for the last survivors of the Wars. She expected to be a tiny cog in the larger clockwork of the city. 

Lark did not expect to become the City's power supply. 

For fifteen years, Lark Ainsley believed in a lie. Now she must escape the only world she's ever known...or face a fate more unimaginable than death. 


In Meagan Spooner's compelling debut, magic, technology, and human frailty collide in a brilliant new world.
Beginning:
The din of the clockwork dawn was loudest in the old sewers, a great whirring and clanking of gears as the artificial sun warmed up.
Friday 56:

I stood there staring upward, the letters of my name burning through the gloom, when the sound of the door banging open jerked my attention toward the entrance.

6 comments:

  1. So I take it the setting is some artificial world. I'm intrigued.

    Here's my Book Beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I like the beginning. It's sure to wake you up ;) And the F56 is almost threatening! Thanks for sharing!
    My FF Post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...artificial sun? I'm intrigued.

    Diana
    My BB Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very intriguing snippet, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good opening. Artificial sun, hm...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!