Monday, September 3, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions (Sept. 3, 2012)

Book Blogger Confessions is a new Monday meme started by Tiger at Tiger's All-Consuming Books and Karen at For What It's Worth. With Tiger moving away and changing the focus of her blogging, Pam from Midnyte Reader will be joining with Karen to host this meme. The purpose of the meme is best stated by Karen here:
"Tiger and I thought it might be time to start a meme to discuss some of the frustrations that are unique to book bloggers. What happens when the hobby you love becomes more of a chore?
This meme will appear on the first and third Mondays of the month. One of the hosts will give us a question to respond to and a linky for sharing our responses and developing community.

This week's question is: Following:  How do you follow blogs?  Do you use Google Reader?  Are you on an e-mail list?  Are you more apt to follow people who have less followers?  Would you follow a blog to enter a contest?  What makes you unfollow a blog?

Because I have a Blogger blog, I most commonly use Google Friend Connect to follow blogs. I keep up with the blogs I follow through my Google Reader. I have directly added a bunch of non-Blogger blogs to my Google Reader. The only time I go to the actual blog is if I am participating in a meme or want to leave a comment - which I don't do as often as I should. 

I tend to follow the people who comment on my blogs. I also follow people I "meet" on the memes I participate in. I am constantly discovering new blogs to follow. I look for blogs that concentrate on books and blog about the genres I prefer reading. I am more likely to follow someone who has fewer followers because I know how much I treasured those who were kind enough to follow my blog when I began. Also, I am usually already following the "big bloggers." 

I just checked my Google Reader which tells me that I am following 738 different blogs right now. I follow authors, teachers, librarians, tech people, and bunches and bunches of book bloggers. I also follow a couple of cooking blogs and even one that keeps me up to date with what Duchess Kate is doing and wearing.

Every once in a while, I will go through my reader and delete blogs. I usually stop following if nothing new has been posted for three months or so. But I only go through my blog list a couple of times a year at the most. I have also stopped following blogs because the focus of the blog has changed and I am no longer interested in the topics discussed. Having bunches of dead blogs in my Google Reader isn't really a problem but I do like to go tidy up once in while. 

I haven't ever followed a blog in order to enter a contest. Of course, I can't tell you the last time I entered a contest. I already have many more books than I will be able to read in a very long lifetime. The thought of winning one is more likely to send chills up my spine than it is to encourage feelings of delight. I also have enough discretionary income to buy any books I want to read. I prefer leaving contests to those who like them or depend on them for books to read. On the other hand, I like holding contests and usually participate in many of the giveaway hops hosted by Kathy at I Am a Reader, Not a Writer. 

How do you feel about following? Are you selective or inclusive? 

6 comments:

  1. I follow a lot of blogs too. I only stop following if they quit posting or the content isn't what I'm interested in.

    I try to follow those that are just starting out too.

    I must give my usual plug for the "next" button. I used to use google reader, but I've installed the next button and now I can visit blogs and comment easily, but still get through them like when I used the reader. Here's more information if you are interested: http://annettesbookspot.blogspot.com/2012/06/loving-next-button.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topic! I love my google reader, as don't think I'd be able to keep up otherwise! I used to follow blogs to enter contests, but don't any longer as its just a way to pump up numbers IMHO.

    I find myself more open to following new blogs with few followers as I want to support new voices. Every follower I have is cherished, and I sort of want to pay it forward... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'm pretty selective as to which blogs I follow. I would love to follow other types of blogs besides books as well, but I spend so much time just following the book ones that I don't think I can add any more.

    I like to participate in giveaways too and I should do more, but again, I feel so busy that so much time seems to pass and I haven't done one in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hosting giveaways but I rarely enter any. I have more than enough books so I only bother if it's something hard to come by on my own but I wouldn't follow just to enter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have noticed that I don't enter contests as much anymore. But wow that's a lot in your reader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a lovely list of 700+ bloggers, and other folks that you follow! The duchess blog, is that the one on Duchess Kate? I read that the other week since it was linked to from Go Fug Yourself, my fav fashiony blog.

    I get the three month thumbrule - I should probably do that, most blogs that haven't updated since June will probably not update for the rest of the year...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!