Friday, September 7, 2012

Friday Memes: The City's Son by Tom Pollock

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

This week I am featuring The City's Son by Tom Pollock. I got this book to review from Flux Books via NetGalley. Here is the description of this gritty, contemporary fantasy:
Running from her traitorous best friend  and her estranged father, graffiti artist Beth  Bradley is looking for sanctuary. What she  finds is Filius, the ragged and cocky crown  prince of London’s mystical underworld.  Filius opens Beth’s eyes to the city she’s  never truly seen—where vast spiders crawl  telephone wires seeking voices to steal, railwraiths  escape their tethers, and statues conceal  an ancient priesthood robed in bronze.

But it all teeters on the brink of destruction.  Amid rumors that Filius’s goddess mother  will soon return from her 15-year exile,  Reach, a malign god of urban decay, wants  the young prince dead. Helping Filius raise  an alleyway army to reclaim his skyscraper  throne, Beth soon forgets her old life. But  when her best friend is captured, Beth must  choose between this wondrous existence and  the life she left behind.
Beginning:
I'm hunting. The sun sits low over Battersea, its rays streaking the brickwork like warpaint as I pad through the railway tunnels.
Friday 56:
It flickered, and blurred, leaving strange after-images: a steam-engine, a squat underground train, a trail of memories, as though it couldn't remember what it was. Its steam-whistle brayed like a tormented thing.

3 comments:

  1. Love the imagery in the 56! (And, frankly, it's better imagery than what's in my book...and mine's focused on the railways)

    Here are my Friday Memes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm hunting", followed by "pad through the railway tunnels" makes me think of an animal stalking through a jungle. Nice word choices. I think I'd like this book.
    My book beginning is from SEASON OF SISTERS.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!