Friday, September 28, 2012

Friday Memes: League of Strays by L. B. Schulman

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


The book I am featuring this week is League of Strays by L. B. Schulman. I got this contemporary story from NetGalley. Here is the description:
This suspenseful debut follows a group of teenage misfits in their delicious quest for revenge on those who have wronged them at their high school. When a mysterious note appears in Charlotte’s mailbox inviting her to join the League of Strays, she’s hopeful it will lead to making friends. What she discovers is a motley crew of loners and an alluring, manipulative ringleader named Kade. Kade convinces the group that they need one another both for friendship and to get back at the classmates and teachers who have betrayed them. But Kade has a bigger agenda. In addition to vandalizing their school and causing fights between other students, Kade’s real intention is a dangerous plot that will threaten lives and force Charlotte to choose between her loyalty to the League and her own conscience.
Beginning:
I pedaled down the side of West Reynolds Avenue, relying on passing headlights to lead my way.
Friday 56:
"Maybe as a group, we could talk to someone about this. Someone who cares..." I found myself suggesting.
With today's major emphasis on bullying in schools, I thought this one sounded like an interesting story.

3 comments:

  1. I quite enjoyed this book, even though it's a bit heavy material sometimes. I hope you like it (:

    Celine ~ Nyx Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great opening. I've seen an increase in stories that deal with revenge against high school bullies (mean girls, teachers, etc.) Does fiction imitate life? It's scary, isn't it? It seems that Charlotte is the voice of reason in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great read and love the topic of bullying. I wish more books would address this issue that seems to be growing more and more.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!