Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Teaser Tuesday: The Opposite of Hallelujah by Anna Jarzab

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This week I am showcasing The Opposite of Hallelujah by Anna Jarzab. This is a contemporary which is also Jarzab's second book. Here is the description:
A riveting depiction of sisterhood, as one sibling's return home unleashes lies, a secret long buried, and emotional upheaval.

Caro Mitchell considers herself an only child--and she likes it that way. After all, her much older sister, Hannah, left home eight years ago, and Caro barely remembers her. So when Caro's parents drop the bombshell news that Hannah is returning to live with them, Caro feels as if an interloper is crashing her family. To her, Hannah's a total stranger, someone who haunts their home with her meek and withdrawn presence, and who refuses to talk about her life and why she went away. Caro can't understand why her parents cut Hannah so much slack, and why they're not pushing for answers.

Unable to understand Hannah, Caro resorts to telling lies about her mysterious reappearance. But when those lies alienate her new boyfriend, friends, and put her on the outs with her parents, Caro seeks solace from an unexpected source. And as she unearths a clue from Hannah's past--one that could save Hannah from the dark secret that possesses her--Caro begins to see her sister in a whole new light.
Teaser:
The word "vocation" made me want to barf. To me it was a synonym for "prison," for a particular kind of abandonment. I hadn't seen much of the world at that point, but I knew it was full of things I wanted. 

4 comments:

  1. Great teaser! I definitely would read that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tease! Haven't heard of this one!

    Here's my Teaser

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am incredibly jealous that you are reading this! This is very high on my wish list and I seriously need to get my hands on it soon. Excellent teaser!

    http://bookcoverjustice.blogspot.com/2012/10/teaser-tuesday-55.html

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!