Monday, November 5, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions: Politics (Nov. 5, 2012)

Book Blogger Confessions is a new Monday meme started by Tiger at Tiger's All-Consuming Books and Karen at For What It's Worth. With Tiger moving away and changing the focus of her blogging, Pam from Midnyte Reader will be joining with Karen to host this meme. The purpose of the meme is best stated by Karen here:
"Tiger and I thought it might be time to start a meme to discuss some of the frustrations that are unique to book bloggers. What happens when the hobby you love becomes more of a chore?
This meme will appear on the first and third Mondays of the month. One of the hosts will give us a question to respond to and a linky for sharing our responses and developing community.

This week's question is: Should bloggers & authors discuss politics? Does that turn you off to a blogger or an authors books if they tweet/post about their political positions or do you appreciate their passionate point of view? 

Personally, I have a strong disinterest in politics. I don't talk about them. I don't think about them except for a couple of days before elections. I don't watch the presidential debates or listen to all the pundits. 

I don't care about an author's political views unless it shows in their fiction. Authors can talk about what they want on their blogs or in their tweets. I may or may not read them but likely will not. The one exception for me is John Scalzi at Whatever. I like his writing style and humor and we tend to share very similar political views. I almost always read his posts.

I would never stop reading an author just because of their political views. As I mentioned, I don't want their political views to permeate their fiction though. If I like an author's characters or stories, I read them. If I don't I won't no matter what their political views might me.

What about you? Does an author's politics make a difference to you?

3 comments:

  1. An author's politics do not make a difference to me unless as you say they use their writing as a platform or if they are just too over the top with it. Or, if they believe in like, killing puppies or something. I really haven't had too many issues with politics and authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless it's an non stop onslaught of political tweets I can just pass it over. it doesn't bother me.

    It also doesn't effect whether I read their book or not. The two are separate to me.

    Unless an author has a particularly hateful viewpoint it's ok with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No it doesn't make a difference to me about their political views ...I only care about their books. But if its non stop, then I stop

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!