Friday, November 23, 2012

Friday Memes: The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

This week I am spotlighting The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse. Lisa pitched this book to me and made note of the fact that we were fellow librarians. I had to help out a fellow librarian. The book was released on July 10 and Lisa sent me an autographed copy. Here is the description:
A thought-provoking and exciting start to a riveting new dystopian trilogy.

As an obedient orphan of the U.N.A. (the super-country that was once Mexico, the U.S., and Canada), Alenna learned at an early age to blend in and be quiet—having your parents taken by the police will do that to a girl. But Alenna can’t help but stand out when she fails a test that all sixteen-year-olds have to take: The test says she has a high capacity for brutal violence, and so she is sent to The Wheel, an island where all would-be criminals end up.

The life expectancy of prisoners on The Wheel is just two years, but with dirty, violent, and chaotic conditions, the time seems a lot longer as Alenna is forced to deal with civil wars for land ownership and machines that snatch kids out of their makeshift homes. Desperate, she and the other prisoners concoct a potentially fatal plan to flee the island. Survival may seem impossible, but Alenna is determined to achieve it anyway.
Beginning:
At first I think the hammering sound is the noise of waves crashing down on white sand. I'm dreaming I'm in Old Florida with my parents, before the government restricted all travel.
Friday 56:
"In your case, you told us under the serum that people came into your cell and administered ECT before the test could even take place. That means the government had marked you as an Unanchored Soul from the get go. But it doesn't always work that way for everyone..."

2 comments:

  1. The "unanchored soul" term intrigued me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the beginning! Who wouldn't want to read more? Sounds like a great plot.
    My Friday 56/Book Beginnings post is here.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!