Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Teaser Tuesday: Will Sparrow's Road by Karen Cushman

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers.

My teaser this week comes from Will Sparrow's Road by Karen Cushman. I received the ARC from Amazon Vine. I have read and enjoyed Cushman's other historical fiction. Here is the description:
In his thirteenth year, Will Sparrow, liar and thief, becomes a runaway. On the road, he encounters a series of con artists—a pickpocket, a tooth puller, a pig trainer, a conjurer—and learns that others are more adept than he at lying and thieving. Then he reluctantly joins a traveling troupe of "oddities," including a dwarf and a cat-faced girl, holding himself apart from the "monsters" and resolving to be on guard against further deceptions. At last Will is forced to understand that appearances are misleading and that  he has been his own worst deceiver. The rowdy world of market fairs in Elizabethan England is the colorful backdrop for Newbery medalist Cushman's new comic masterpiece. 
Teaser:
Will could not sleep. He lay imagining the innkeeper catching him, his father finding him, or - worse - trolls and goblins, ogres and elves and evil dwarfs, come out of the forest to bedevil him. When he heard the direful hooting of an owl, he pulled the blanket over his head. Finally, comforted by the familiar smell of horse, he slept. 

9 comments:

  1. This does sound interesting. I hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I always pull the covers over my head when I'm scared of the bogeyman, too. :) Great teaser. Thanks for sharing & stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good teaser. Looks like an interesting historical novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like he found what he needed. And nothing comes up on this site, in case you're wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that...I could so put myself in his shoes...or pajamas as the case may be!

    Thanks for stopping by my Teaser from The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like another good read. Thanks for sharing!

    Thanks for stopping by Book Cover Justice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a good read. I think the smell of horse would probably keep me awake, though! Thanks for visiting my post earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sound like a really good book. I'm sorry I missed it on Vine.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!