Monday, December 17, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions Dec. 17, 2012



Book Blogger Confessions is a new Monday meme started by Tiger at Tiger's All-Consuming Books and Karen at For What It's Worth. With Tiger moving away and changing the focus of her blogging, Pam from Midnyte Reader will be joining with Karen to host this meme. The purpose of the meme is best stated by Karen here:
"Tiger and I thought it might be time to start a meme to discuss some of the frustrations that are unique to book bloggers. What happens when the hobby you love becomes more of a chore?
This meme will appear on the first and third Mondays of the month. One of the hosts will give us a question to respond to and a linky for sharing our responses and developing community.

This week's question is: Dear Santa! What would you put on your blogging/bookish wish list if the sky was the limit? A new blog design? A house filled with new bookshelves? Even MORE books?

I would have to ask for a house filled with new bookshelves. I have reached capacity at my current house. I don't have any more walls I can use for bookshelves. I have bookshelves in every room except my bathrooms and, oddly enough, the bedroom I use which is small but has a walk-in closet. 

This fall I went through a massive reorganization of my bookshelves and weeded 1500 books out of my collection so that I had shelf space for all the books I owned. I took a serious look at the books on the shelves that I had been keeping and was ruthless about getting rid of books I didn't think I would want to re-read.

I also sorted through the closet where I had stashed about 13 boxes of books that I didn't have shelf space for when I moved to this house in October 2000. The Rochester Friends of the Library got the vast majority of them but I did share a couple of hundred with friends.

I emptied numerous baskets, bags and boxes of TBR books which were filling the floor in my office and are now in alphabetical order on shelves. I actually have four empty shelves now but that doesn't give me a lot of room for expansion. I will have to continue to be ruthless about the books I keep.

You can see the blog posts I wrote about this reorganization project here and here.

I would really like a home that would let me build something like this - but with more soft, comfy seating and good reading lights:
Designed by Architect Curt Lamb
or this:
Photo Credit: Tony Soluri for Architectural Digest
Unfortunately I live in a townhouse and the Board of Directors would frown on any attempts to add a 20 x 20 addition to my unit.

What about you? What bookish thing would you ask Santa for?

7 comments:

  1. Very nice. I wish I had a house where I could add a library. But then I would have to go on a book buying spree to fill it. I am fairly strict with myself about buying books with my limited room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! 1500 books! I'm speechless.

    I cleared out about 100 earlier this year. Most of mine went to the library as well.

    I hope you get your big library one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG thats a lot of books :) I bow down to you with books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy batman! 1500 books? To get rid of??? That is crazy! You could get a ton of money back in trade with those. That would buy a lot of new books, but I guess that wouldn't solve your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those pictures! That would be great to have in my house, but not too practical :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the round library! I really, really need to win the lottery so I could build one of those! It's funny how so many of us are wishing for more bookshelves instead of more books. Santa should totally grant our wishes because we're being good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the first room. It's so pretty. I hate being ruthless with keepers, but it's what I have to do as well.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!