Monday, December 3, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions Dec. 3, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions is a new Monday meme started by Tiger at Tiger's All-Consuming Books and Karen at For What It's Worth. With Tiger moving away and changing the focus of her blogging, Pam from Midnyte Reader will be joining with Karen to host this meme. The purpose of the meme is best stated by Karen here:
"Tiger and I thought it might be time to start a meme to discuss some of the frustrations that are unique to book bloggers. What happens when the hobby you love becomes more of a chore?
This meme will appear on the first and third Mondays of the month. One of the hosts will give us a question to respond to and a linky for sharing our responses and developing community.

This week's question is: Do you have a monthly book budget? How has it changed since you started blogging? Do you get more free books now that you have access to publishers/authors/other bloggers or is your book buying budget even higher than when you started? 

I don't have a monthly book budget or any other kind of budget. I haven't lived by a budget for many years. I have a pretty good amount of discretionary income and no other costly bad habits besides book buying. I buy too many books - many more than I have time to read. This leads to a TBR mountain that is pretty intimidating. I would be able to read from my own stacks of unread books for about five years at my current reading rate.

I just went to my LibraryThing to get a look at my book buying pattern since 2009. I started this blog on Dec. 30, 2009 and wanted to get an overview of my buying habits both before and after that. (LibraryThing won't be completely accurate because it only lists the books I still have in my collection. I just went through a major weeding of my shelves and removed 1500 books. I think most of them arrived at my house before 2009 but certainly not all of them.)

In 2009 I added 470 books - 1.29 books a day. I also bought my first Kindle in 2009 and 185 of the books I got were for the Kindle. 

In 2010 I added 757 books to my mountain. 34 were review books and 94 were free books. That is an average of 2 books a day. I think the rise could be attributed to becoming a blogger and getting involved in reading so many other people's blogs. I apparently have no resistance when I hear about a book I might like to read. 

In 2011 I added a total of 642 books to my book mountain. 144 were review books and 155 were free books for my Kindle. This still means that I bought 343 books or slightly less than one book a day (.94 books exactly).

Thus far in 2012, I have added a total of 558 books to my mountain. 178 were review books and only 67 were free books. That means that through November I have purchased 313 books. That is still just slightly less than one book a day (.93 books through Dec. 1).

My perception is that I have been buying fewer books since I get so many for review but the statistics for the last couple of years don't prove that is necessarily true. I am buying fewer books than my peak year of 2010 but more books are still coming into my house and being added to my TBR mountain.

I really need to practice self-restraint and read some of the mountain of books I already have. That should probably be my 2013 New Year's Resolution. Has blogging changed your book buying habits?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a library! I barely have enough shelves to hold my meager collection. I think many of us lack self restraint when it comes to books! Nice resolution idea. Blogging has for sure changed my habits, I buy whenever I have spare change leftover after the necessities.

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! That's a huge library! I'm working on my self-restraint, but have a weakness for eBooks. Can't see them on my bookshelf so they don't count, right? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!