Sunday, December 16, 2012

Stacking the YA Shelves (Dec. 16, 2012)

Tynga of Tynga's Reviews hosts this meme to spotlight the books we receive each week. I guarantee that your TBR pile will grow when you see all the wonderful books everyone gets.

I added eight books to my TBR mountain this week (sort of).

For my Kindle:
I bought ebooks of A Beautiful Friendship and Fire Season by David Weber from Baen Books (before their ebook prices went up). I have read both of those books and donated them to my High School Media Center but I wanted keeper copies that didn't take up shelf space. These are Weber's young adult science fiction books that take place in the same universe as his Honor Harrington series. 

I also bought a copy of Insurgent by Veronica Roth even though I haven't gotten to Divergent on my TBR mountain. I want to be ready with the sequel when I finally get to the first book. 

Print books:
I bought Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes this week. I will have to admit that I was seduced by the cover of this one.

I also bought The Fault in Our Stars by John Green since Amazon picked it as one of the best YA books of the year. I have never read a book by John Green since I read very little contemporary YA but have heard good things about this one and thought it was time to give him a try.

I also bought The Friday Society by Adrienne Kress since I am a fan of steampunk, mysteries and science fiction. This one looks like just the kind of book I most enjoy.
I also got a couple of middle grade books for my TBR mountain. I got William Alexander's Goblin Secrets both because it won a National Book Award and because he is a Minnesota author. 

I chose "Who Could That Be at This Hour?" by Lemony Snicket because I know that, even if I don't enjoy this one, my students will. I wasn't a big fan of the Series of Unfortunate Events and hope this one is not as silly.

What did you add to your stack this week?

8 comments:

  1. OOh nice! As much as the new special of Insurgent looks cool, I can't bring myself to buy it since I already have a copy! And I still need to read it! Also can't wait for Falling Kingdoms, it's on my xmas list so I will have to wait to see if Santa comes through for me! ;)

    Happy Reading!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books! Insurgent is amazing and TFiOS is also great, loved both. I'd love to get Falling Kingdoms.

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't care for Series of Unfortunate Events either, but I highly recommend you get to Divergent ASAP! And, glad you are going to try Fault in Our Stars. It's really great. Happy Reading! My STS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great books! I've been looking forward to Falling Kingdoms, The Fault in Our Stars, and The Friday Society. Enjoy all your fantastic reads this week!

    Thanks for commenting on my IMM. I'm a new follower!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome haul! I loved Insurgent (way better than Divergent) and I just started reading The Fault in Our Stars. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just based on the cover I want The Friday Club.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many that I want to read. Especially Insurgent and The Fault in Our Stars, great haul!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice haul, lots of great books I want!!

    Thanx for visiting my StS and Sunday Post!
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!