Monday, January 7, 2013

Book Blogger Confessions: 2013 Plans and Goals (Jan. 47, 2013)

Book Blogger Confessions is a new Monday meme started by Tiger at Tiger's All-Consuming Books and Karen at For What It's Worth. Pam from Midnyte Reader joined with Karen to host this meme when Tiger changed the focus of her blogging. The purpose of the meme is best stated by Karen here:
"Tiger and I thought it might be time to start a meme to discuss some of the frustrations that are unique to book bloggers. What happens when the hobby you love becomes more of a chore?
This meme will appear on the first and third Mondays of the month. One of the hosts will give us a question to respond to and a linky for sharing our responses and developing community.

This week's question is: Happy 2013! What are your blogging goals for the new year? Are you making any changes or testing out new ideas for reviews or organization? Have you joined any challenges?
What are the trends you noticed in blogging from 2012 and what do you hope to see for the blogging community in 2013?


I have to make a confession...I am not a goal setter. I tend to live day to day and not make big plans for the future. I decided this year not to take part in any of the hundreds of blog reading challenges that are blanketing the internet. First of all, I have never been successful at any challenge I have tried because I tend to forget about them as the year goes on. Second, I don't want to choose books based on some pre-determined category. I have enough structure in my reading life with the review books I accept. When I have some gaps in my reading schedule, I want to be able to browse my TBR mountains and choose my next book by mood.

That does bring me to my one major goal of the year...reduce the size of my TBR mountains. Between the adult shelves, the young adult bookcase (compete with overflow), and the Kindle, I have 1473 TBR books available to me. Please note that these are not wishlists of books that I want to get someday. These are books that I already own but not have not yet found the time to read. 
YA TBR Mountain in January 2013
Adult TBR Mountain in January 2013
This is going to need a two-pronged approach. I need to accept fewer books for review so that I have time to pull books from TBR mountain. I also need to buy fewer books so that I can stay even. Last year I added 620 books to my LibraryThing account and read only 270.

I am happy with my current organization plans - LibraryThing account for all books that come into my house, GoodReads for the book I am currently reading, Google Docs spreadsheets for review books and my annual reading log, and an actual physical calendar created with Microsoft Publisher for each blog so that I can schedule posts. I have a regular schedule for posting so that I know what will be appearing each day. I do at least two reviews a week on each blog and take part in a number of memes. This is a schedule that works petty well for me and I don't feel any need to change it. I am the queen of scheduling posts ahead (this one is being written on New Year's Eve) and try to keep at least one week ahead on each blog.

The last part of the question asks about trends and I am at a loss. I really don't notice trends as they are happening. I have no predictions for 2013 beyond hoping that blogging stays as interesting and engaging as it has been for the last three years on this blog and the last five years on my other blog.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that someone else out in Blog World isn't doing the challenges-like you I'm determined to read the books in my overwhelming TBR pile(s).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add me to the list of bloggers out to conquer their TBR piles this year! Although I don't have the courage to count, I'm pretty sure you have bigger piles than I do! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. You have more books than I do lol

    I almost completely stopped taking review requests and tackled my TBR shelf last year. I read at least 30+ books so I'm happy.

    This year I want to keep that up and stop trying to read the latest and greatest just because everyone else is.

    I can't do challenges. It's like my mind rebels the instant I join one.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!