Monday, January 21, 2013

Book Blogger Confessions: Blogging Slumps (Jan. 21, 2013)

Book Blogger Confessions is a new Monday meme started by Tiger at Tiger's All-Consuming Books and Karen at For What It's Worth. Pam from Midnyte Reader joined with Karen to host this meme when Tiger changed the focus of her blogging. The purpose of the meme is best stated by Karen here:
"Tiger and I thought it might be time to start a meme to discuss some of the frustrations that are unique to book bloggers. What happens when the hobby you love becomes more of a chore?
This meme will appear on the first and third Mondays of the month. One of the hosts will give us a question to respond to and a linky for sharing our responses and developing community.

This week's question is: We've discussed blogging slumps before but have you ever seriously considered throwing in the towel and quitting blogging? If so, what changed your mind? Did you discuss it with other bloggers?

You know, I don't think I have ever considered quitting blogging. Every once in a while I get behind and have to struggle for content but that is more an organizational issue than an issue with blogging and is completely my fault. I sometimes wonder what possessed me to decide to maintain two different book blogs.

Reading is what I do but I really lack a "real life" outlet to talk about the books I enjoy or to interact with other readers. Blogging fills that need very well for me. It warms my heart and restores my faith in humanity to learn that there are so many other passionate readers.

At some point, probably after I retire, I will fold my two blogs back into each other to reduce some of the pressure and because my reading will change. I can't imagine not blogging though.

I see so many blogs that I used to love either end or go on long hiatuses and do wonder why. I understand that real life or changing interests can make blogging less attractive. I also understand that getting caught up in some sort of blogging controversy can cause a lack of enthusiasm. But neither of those have happened to me yet. 

What about you? Have you considered giving up blogging?

5 comments:

  1. I have thought of quitting but I came to the realization (that you pointed out) that this was all self induced pressure. There is no right way to blog. Once I accepted that I started having fun again.

    I ignore all controversies now. I never got involved but I did let them get me down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have too thought about it. I agree there is no right way to blog..but I am feeling burnt out and love that I have made so many friends

    ReplyDelete
  3. December was the hardest month of my 2.5 years of book blogging. Feeling overwhelmed with all the responsibilities of life AND the blog became too much. I am still digging myself out of of the slump.

    I've noticed so many long time book bloggers calling it quits or taking time out.

    I honestly wonder what it is that is causing so many people to give it up.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about self induced pressure and lack of organizational skills. But I also don't want my blog to be too much like a chore or job. I like being laid back about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the reasons I love blogging so much is because I wouldn't have anyone to discuss my latest read with otherwise. Glad to hear you've never been tempted to quit, and hope you're around for a long, long time! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!