Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My TBR Mountain Today

With the start of a new year, it is time to set some goals. While I have decided not to participate formally in any challenges this year, there are still some ways I need to challenge myself.

Challenge #1 - Lower the number of books on my TBR mountain. Looking at the picture below makes this one an obvious choice.
My LibraryThing account tells me that there are 169 books sitting on those shelves. It also tells me that I have 164 unread young adult books on my Kindle.

Challenge #2: Read in my reading blind spots. Donalyn Miller calls them book gaps here. I am aware of my two major gaps. I don't choose to read contemporary young adult fiction nor do I choose to read nonfiction. I'm going to need some help here. What contemporary YAs or nonfiction books must I put on my list if I want to consider myself a well-rounded reader?

I'm stopping here. I want to have a focus for the coming year and not forget what I have challenged myself to do. What are your challenges for the coming year?

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with working on your TBR pile! I need to work on mine as well, but am trying to resist joining challenges as I put too much pressure on myself.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, your TBR pile makes mine look less intimidating. :) If you're looking for YA contemporaries to read, I recommend The Fine Art of Truth or Dare, Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, and Lola and the Boy Next Door. All three are rather cute and light in the way of writing style. Good luck this year!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!