Monday, February 18, 2013

Book Blogger Confessions: Reading Habits (Feb. 18, 2013)

Book Blogger Confessions is a new Monday meme started by Tiger at Tiger's All-Consuming Books and Karen at For What It's Worth. Pam from Midnyte Reader joined with Karen to host this meme when Tiger changed the focus of her blogging. The purpose of the meme is best stated by Karen here:
"Tiger and I thought it might be time to start a meme to discuss some of the frustrations that are unique to book bloggers. What happens when the hobby you love becomes more of a chore?
This meme will appear on the first and third Mondays of the month. One of the hosts will give us a question to respond to and a linky for sharing our responses and developing community.

This week's question is: How has blogging and reviewing changed your reading habits? Do you read a genre now that you wouldn't have tried prior? Or have you been turned off by a genre you used to love?


One major change that blogging or, more exactly, reviewing has made to my reading habits is that I do much less re-reading. I used to routinely re-read certain book series each year and sometimes more than once a year. Now my review stack is so tall that I don't have a chance to read any of my old favorites. I have to admit that I am tempted every once in a while to push the review books aside and get lost in some of my old favorites.

I have always read a variety of genres—romance, mystery, science fiction, young adult—and that hasn't changed. Opening myself up to review books has introduced me to a wonderful new selection of authors and some new genres too. I was reading urban fantasy before the genre boomed and I am still reading lots of it. Paranormal romance is just a subdivision of romance and I have come to love that genre too. I read less straight science fiction but I still enjoy character-driven space opera and have added a new love for dystopian fiction.

I still haven't developed a love for classic literature or anything that could be described as "chick lit." No one can read everything. So I am glad to leave those genres to the people who enjoy them.

How have your reading habits changed since you began blogging?

5 comments:

  1. I really agree with you on the re-reading. Before blogging I would re-read atleast 3 books a year but in 2012 I didn't re-read any. It's somewhat depressing to see my favorites collecting dust. I think for 2013 I am going to make it a goal to re-read atleast one set of my favs.

    Lauren @ Lose Time Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. No time for re-reading. I used to re-visit The Stand every once in a while, but now I feel guilty b/c I have so many other books to read. But I guess having too much to read instead of too little is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely with me too. I don't do nearly as much rereading as I did before because I don't think I've reread AT ALL, which makes me sad. Love the post!

    My Book Blogger Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also don't reread as much as I used to - there are just so many "new" books out there I want to read, and I end up focusing on those instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried a few of the classics and I just don't enjoy them.

    A few people mentioned rereads and I don't' have time for them anymore either. That might be something I should make time for though.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!