Sunday, February 3, 2013

Stacking the YA Shelves (Feb. 3, 2013)

Tynga of Tynga's Reviews hosts this meme to spotlight the books we receive each week. I guarantee that your TBR pile will grow when you see all the wonderful books everyone gets.

This week I added twelve books to my stack. Here are the ones I added to my Kindle. They were all Amazon Deal of the Day books.
The Many Lives of Lilith Lane by E. V. Anderson was one of Friday's deals. It is a science fiction/mystery. 

Pure by Julianna Baggott won an Alex Award as one of the ten best adult books for young adults last year. I couldn't pass it up for $1.99.
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness has been a book that I have felt that I should read. Now it will be waiting for me on my Kindle.

I read and reviewed a copy of The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson last year but never had a keeper copy. Now I do!

Here are the print books I got this week. Most of them were winners at this year's ALA Youth Media Awards that sounded interesting and weren't already on my stack.
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz won a Printz Honor, the Pura Belpré Award and a Stonewall Award. I hadn't heard of it before it won.

Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz won as a Newbery Honor book. This is another one I hadn't heard much about.
Hand in Hand: Ten Black Men Who Changed America by Andrea Pinkney and illustrated by Brian Pinkney won the Coretta Scott King (Author) Award.

Bomb: The Race to Build—and Stea;—the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin was a Newbery Honor book, won the Robert F. Sibert Medal, and was chosen winner of the YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults.
I also got Dragonswood by Janet Lee Carey because I love fantasy books and needed to find 4 books for an Amazon 4-for-3 deal. 

Hooked by Liz Fichera is a contemporary romance by a 2013 Debut author. I liked the sports tie-in because the characters are golfers.

That is all I bought this week. Maybe I'll actually be able to read some of these when I catch up on my large stack of review books.

Speaking of review books...here are the two I added to my stack this week.
Double Crossed by Ally Carter is actually a short story that combines her two series—The Gallagher Girls and The Heist Society. I got this one from NetGalley.

From Amazon Vine, I got The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd which is also a book by a 2013 Debut Author. This one is historical fiction/horror. It was released on Jan. 29 but won't fit into my review schedule for a while. I had already filled my calendar until mid-March before it arrived.

What did you get for your stack this week?

3 comments:

  1. Nice! Haven't read any of these but I hope you enjoy them all!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot about Pure, hope you enjoy.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have heard great things about Madman's Daughter and The Bomb. Both are on my list. Looking forward to your thoughts. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!