Monday, March 18, 2013

Book Blogger Confessions: Blog Design (March 18, 2013)




Book Blogger Confessions is a meme that posts the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month, where book bloggers "confess" and vent about blogging/bookish topics. Feel free to share, vent and offer solutions. It is hosted by Karen at For What It's Worth and Pam from Midnyte ReaderOne of the hosts will give us a question to respond to and a linky for sharing our responses and developing community.

This week's question is: What is important in design for the blogs you follow? What features/elements do you appreciate? What are big turn off's?

I follow a huge number of blogs through Google Reader. Blog design isn't very important to me because I don't actually visit the blogs unless I am planning to comment. I am also not a very visual person. My own blog designs probably haven't changed for more than a year. 

I like clear fonts and contrasting colors. Red letters on black backgrounds in an ornate font really turn me off. I don't like a lot of distracting sidebar junk. I also don't like to play hide and seek. If it isn't easy to see how to follow a blog or how to comment on a post, I won't bother. Blogs that use Captcha for comments are sometimes annoying. I am good at Captcha but will only give it two tries. If I haven't figured it out by then, I just don't comment and move on to a blog where commenting is easier. 

My biggest pet peeve though has to be blogs that play music when a person visits. I stay at those the absolute minimum amount of time I need to do whatever it is I came to the blog to do. It is especially annoying when I can't find the music player and TURN IT OFF. 

What design elements matter to you?

6 comments:

  1. I pretty much agree with everything you said, although I do actually visit most blogs because I use the "next" button from blogger -- which will also be going away....bummer.

    Anyway, I KNOW my blog needs some design spruce up, but I really just want to write about books, you know? I haven't had the spark I need to work on it -- for over a year, like you. Someday...but really, I hate the fancy fonts, the light fonts on white, or red on black, etc. One I would add is text that is all centered. I don't know why that bothers me SO MUCH but it does. NO WHERE else (magazines, books, web sites) do people center all the text. I really slows my reading.

    And blinky things in the side bar -- that really distracts me. But, most of the blogs that do these things, I will still follow if I like their reviews. So, I put up with it. Everyone has their own taste.

    OK. Rant over. Great thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to music too and Captcha is the devil. Totally agree with you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. The content is most important, and I have to be able to easily read it. I don't like picture-widget-heavy blogs either; these contents are usually in the sidebar and take time to load. I hate CAPTCHA as well. It's hard to read and time-consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see too many blogs using music anymore. Thankfully.

    I have my preferences of course but I can overlook quite a bit if the content is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Captcha drives me crazy, especially when Blogspot makes me use it even though I have an account! Grrr! I just use my Wordpress account now that it is set up - so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If a blog doesn't have a great design, but I still love the content I'll still come back. That being said, I'm a visual person so I love just looking at everyone's blogs. And the captcha thing, I do the same thing.  I'll try it 2x, maybe 3 then I quit.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!