Author: Laura Bradley Rede
Publication: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (January 29, 2013)
Description: It’s hard to move on when someone you love dies – especially if that someone is you. But that’s exactly what Cicely Watson is trying to do: move on, away from the sunlit life she knew and into her life as a vampire. It’s the only way to protect her friends, and her only hope of being with the guy she loves. Now that Ander can control the wolf inside him, Cicely is determined they will finally be together – even if their natural instincts tell them to tear each other apart. But when Ander meets a new girl with a power he can’t resist, Cicely fears she saved his life only to lose his love. And what about her own feelings for Luke Marianez, the handsome vampire prince? She always claimed dark, brooding Luke simply wasn’t her type, but can she still deny the fire between them now that she’s his kind? When the enemy captures someone she loves, Cicely is forced to choose. Can a heart that stopped beating start loving at last? Or will true love be caught in the crossfire?
My Thoughts: CROSSFIRE is the sequel to DARKRIDE and begins shortly after the first book ends. We begin with six young people in a van—three vampires, two werewolves, and a human thrall—who are running from both vampires and Hunters who want to kill them. They are on their way to Brave Boat Harbor, Maine and Naomi Faire who might be able to help them.
I'll admit that i was a little confused at the beginning of the story. It has been a long time since I read DARKRIDE but when they arrived in Maine they had to explain themselves to Naomi which caught me up nicely on the events of the previous book. It was an infodump that was integrated well in this story.
The six are an interesting assortment of characters, each with their own unique agenda.
- Cicely is a new vampire—an enluzante—and has a number of things to get used to, i.e. no reflection in mirrors, horror of crosses, unable to enter a home without an invitation, and an inability to be in sunlight. She became a vampire to save the boy she loves, Ander, who is a werewolf and a former Hunter.
- Ander has gotten control of himself as a werewolf because he is now the alpha of his small pack. Before he became alpha he couldn't control his wolf and was always afraid that he would hurt Cicely.
- D.J., Ander's younger brother, is a Hunter who was made a werewolf because that would make him a better Hunter, He hates vampires and resents his brother who controls him and who loves a vampire.
- Five is another enluzante who had escaped from the Hunter compound previously. She is a psychic and quite a mysterious character.
- Luke is an immortal vampire under a curse. He wanted to make Cecily fall in love with him before he killed her in order to break the curse but fell in love with her instead, Now he and Ander are competing for her attention.
- Emmie is a human thrall who loves being a source of blood for vampires. She is the daughter of a vampire and a thrall. She is quite a character. She brings real world smarts, a sunny nature, and optimism to the group.
The story was well-written, engaging, and exciting. The characters, especially Cecily, Ander, Luke, and Emmy, were people the reader could care about.
While the ending leaves most characters in a happy place, there are enough threads unwoven to provide room for further adventures. I enjoyed this story and think many young adults will too.
Well, sometimes it feels like that's all we ever do: the wolf devours us. Our face in the mirror fades. The door shuts behind us and we can't get back in.I received this ebook from the author in exchange for an honest review. You can buy your copy here.
Not unless someone invites us in. My mind goes to Cicely, standing in the doorway of Crosswood Gates, waiting for me to say the word that would let her cross the threshold. Love is the thing calls us in, I know what it is to be lost, it's true. but I know what it is to be found, too.