Saturday, May 25, 2013

ARC Review: Of Triton by Anna Banks

Of Triton
Author: Anna Banks
Publication: Feiwel & Friends (May 28, 2013)

Description: Emma has just learned that her mother is a long-lost Poseidon princess, and now struggles with an identity crisis: As a Half-Breed, she's a freak in the human world and an abomination in the Syrena realm. Syrena law states all Half-Breeds should be put to death.

As if that's not bad enough, her mother's reappearance in the Syrena world turns the two kingdoms--Poseidon and Triton--against one another. Which leaves Emma with a decision to make: Should she comply with Galen's request to keep herself safe and just hope for the best? Or should she risk it all and reveal herself--and her Gift--to save a people she's never known?

Once again, Anna Banks infuses Emma and Galen's points of view with humor, intrigue, and waves of romance.


My Thoughts: I really enjoyed OF TRITON because I really enjoyed the main character Emma's voice. I liked the way she tried to be her best self despite all sorts of setbacks. I like that she had a temper and wasn't the sort to suffer fools gladly. She was good at standing up for herself. She handled lots of very trying situations. After all, finding out that the love of her mother's life wasn't her father and then meeting him would be enough to rock most people. I also liked the way she was torn between wanting to believe her mother and wanting to believe Galen who is the mer-man she loves. 

This story begins with Emma's mother Nalia running from and then reuniting with her true love Grom. Nalia is the Poseidon princess that Grom thought was dead. Nalia is certain that she was responsible for Grom's death too. Once reunited, you would think everything would be wonderful...but that would make a very short book.

Nalia and Grom have a couple of major problems. While she was gone, Grom was pressured into mating with a Common named Paca who seems to be exhibiting the Poseidon Gift. And Paca's father Jagen has decided to do some social re-engineering and overthrow the Royals. The Syrena are determined to keep the Gifts alive.

Emma has the Poseidon Gift that Paca is faking. However, Emma is a Half Breed and Half Breeds are not allowed to live. Galen is determined to change that law and make her his mate. Galen is a dream character. Not only is he gorgeous but he adores Emma. He is also honorable and supportive.

Together, Emma and Galen along with his twin Rayna and her mate Toraf have to find a way to outwit Jagen and forge a future that works for all of them. Read OF POSEIDON first and then you will be eager to devour this story that combines romance and suspense.

Favorite Quote:
A spectator in my own life, I watch the supernova of my two worlds colliding: Mom and Galen. Human and Syrena. Poseidon and Triton. But what can I do? Who should I help? Mom, who lied to me for eighteen years, then tried to shank my boyfriend? Galen, who forgot this little thing called "tact" when he accused my mom of being a runaway fish-princess? Toraf, who...what the heck is Toraf doing, anyway? And did he really just sack my mom like an opposing quarterback?
I received this ARC from Macmillan Children's Publishing Group. You can buy your copy here

1 comment:

  1. Your review reminded me about how much I enjoyed the first book. Of Triton is on my tbr. I will have to move it up.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!