Friday, June 14, 2013

Friday Memes: The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


This week I dug deep into my TBR mountain and pulled out The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson. It has been sitting  on my stack since Sept. 29, 2011. I remember being intrigued by the idea of this paranormal mystery. Here is the description:
New York Times bestseller Maureen Johnson takes on Jack the Ripper in this captivating paranormal thriller!

The day that Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London to start a new life at boarding school is also the day a series of brutal murders breaks out over the city, killings mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper spree of more than a century ago. Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him--the only one who can see him. And now Rory has become his next target. In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.
Beginning:
If you live around New Orleans and they think a hurricane might be coming, all hell breaks loose. Not among the residents, really, but on the news. 
Friday 56:
I pinned my course syllabus to the cork wall and stared it down. Everyone else in this room was calmly carrying on. No one had, to my knowledge, read their course assignments and tried to escape through a chimney.

5 comments:

  1. This does sound like a thrilling read...enjoy! Here's my Friday Beginning/56:

    http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/06/friday-focus-book-beginnings-and-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one last year and liked it. I hope you enjoy it.

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that beginning. It pretty much sums up the reason I never watch the news. I hope you enjoy this one. Here is my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love William's comment! Here, here!

    I have seen this book before and you are right, it is intriguing! I look forward to hearing what you think once you read it!

    Come on by Harlie's Books and check out our Friday 56 and Book Beginning!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!