Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Teaser Tuesday: Runt by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This week my teaser comes from Runt by Nora Raleigh Baskin. A friend picked up this middle grade ARC for me at ALA. Here is the description:
An insightful exploration of middle school bullying from multiple perspectives, by the award-winning author of Anything But Typical.

Elizabeth Moon grew up around dogs. Her mom runs a boarding kennel out of their home, so she’s seen how dogs behave to determine pack order. Her experience in middle school is uncomfortably similar.

Maggie hates how Elizabeth acts so much better than everyone else. Besides, she’s always covered in dog hair. And she smells. So Maggie creates a fake profile on a popular social networking site to teach Elizabeth a lesson.

What makes a bully, and what makes a victim? It’s all in the perspective, and the dynamics shift. From sibling rivalries to mean girl antics, the varying points of view in this illuminating novel from the award-winning author of Anything But Typical show the many shades of gray—because middle school is anything but black and white.
Teaser:
From experience, I've figured out that stubborn dogs will respond more to male voices. I think in general, the dads in their families are more alpha than the moms, so basically I am trying to sound like a dad.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. Haven't read anything by this author :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder my dog doesn't listen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not really my cup of tea, but thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would certainly be relevant for me - though I do teach the younger ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny. I like it! Thanks for stopping by earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not heard of this author before but this book sounds like it would be a good read. Check out my TT here: http://meandu-justthinking.blogspot.ca/2013/07/teaser-tuesdays_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great teaser. ;) Thanks for sharing and dropping by our blog today.

    Diana @ BookVenturers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Teaser. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by my TT.

    Linsey @ mybooksnthings.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice tease! Surprisingly true too! I know our dogs rarely listen to us, but if my grandpa were to tell them sit down, they are so obedient! Not fair considering we are the ones that take care of them!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like it would be a good book for this age group. TFS! My teaser: Blue Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not heard of this one before. What an interesting topic and teaser. I hope you enjoy! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's an interesting teaser. A new take on bullying. Hope it teaches kids some lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha... great tease!!

    Thanx for visiting my TT
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!