Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Teaser Tuesday: Shelter by Harlan Coben

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This week I chose Shelter by Harlan Coben for my teaser. I have had this book on my TBR mountain since Feb. 2, 2012. I originally chose it because it was nominated for a YA Edgar Award. I was also familiar with Coben's name even though I hadn't read any of his books.

Here is the description:
A young adult debut from internationally bestselling author Harlan Coben

Mickey Bolitar's year can't get much worse. After witnessing his father's death and sending his mom to rehab, he's forced to live with his estranged uncle Myron and switch high schools.

A new school comes with new friends and new enemies, and lucky for Mickey, it also comes with a great new girlfriend, Ashley. For a while, it seems like Mickey's train-wreck of a life is finally improving - until Ashley vanishes without a trace. Unwilling to let another person walk out of his life, Mickey follows Ashley's trail into a seedy underworld that reveals that this seemingly sweet, shy girl isn't who she claimed to be. And neither was Mickey's father. Soon, Mickey learns about a conspiracy so shocking that it makes high school drama seem like a luxury - and leaves him questioning everything about the life he thought he knew.

First introduced to readers in Harlan Coben's latest adult novel, Live Wire, Mickey Bolitar is as quick-witted and clever as his uncle Myron, and eager to go to any length to save the people he cares about. With this new series, Coben introduces an entirely new generation of fans to the masterful plotting and wry humor that have made him an award-winning, internationally bestselling, and beloved author.
Teaser:
An orientation should consist of visiting your classes, getting a tour of the facilities, and maybe meeting a few classmates. But no, that's not enough. We had to participate in these moronic, dehumanizing, and totally awkward "team building" exercises.
Oh, yeah. Been there, done that, didn't bother to buy the tee shirt...

24 comments:

  1. This book sounds like a great read. My TT comes from the book Scare The Light Away by Vicki Delany: http://meandu-justthinking.blogspot.ca/2013/07/teaser-tuesdays_16.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. team-building exercises! yes, i know what you mean. Great Teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great teaser. Made me smile. I've heard good things about this author.

    My Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Liesel, it definitely made me smile :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    Here's my TT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having worked in Corporate America, I find this teaser very amusing. Thanks for stopping by The Busy Mom's Daily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha....I start a new job in the fall as a middle school librarian. Thanks for the heads up and stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good read and yeah 'been there' too. Happy reading. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hated those exercises in school! Everyone on my team was stupid! Lol! Great teaser, I need to check this out. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! Great teaser! I couldn't agree more!
    Thanks for stopping by Time2Read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great teaser; I like H.Coben but didn't read this book yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha!! Yeah, I remember those!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh, team building exercises! Have not read this author before (though, like you, I have heard his name), but will be sure to look for this one. My teaser: Arabella by Georgette Heyer

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I can relate to the teaser...I have "suffered" through team-building exercises...lol.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent teaser! I love Coben's books.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not sure it's a place I'd wanna be at.... great teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As I work at a school, I can totally relate to his feelings! Great Teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This teaser made me giggle. I have to admit, I completely share his opinion! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahaha! I remember doing those! He described them perfectly 'cause that's exactly what they are and how they make you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha, that's a good way to describe team-building exercises! Great teaser!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  21. lol, I totally understand that teaser, I also share that opinion xP

    Thanks for dropping by my blog earlier this week, happy weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've only read two Harlan Coben books and I've liked them. I should read more.


    Thanks for stopping by Vonnie's Reading Corner.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ha ha. Team-building exercises were also featured in The Sea of Tranquility, a book I just finished reading. Not sure how your character dealt with it, but mine definitely wasn't havin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice Teaser..sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!